Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oncidium repotting question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Default Oncidium repotting question

I have had this Oncidium for a couple of years. It bloomed about 6 months ago. I was noticing that despite watering the psuedobulbs were wrinkled and some of them wre mushing and wrinkled. I decided to remove the pot to see what was happenng with the root system. I removed the mushy PBs which resulted in splitting the plant into several more healthy pieces. As you can see most of them have wrinkled PBs but to me still looked like that could make it. Question: should I repot all of them r should I try mounting some of them? I would like to try mounting but wonder if any are healthy enough to try. Any ideas and if mounting is an option how would you do It?????Name:  Oncidium repotting - 1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  212.3 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas Challenging to grow

Looking at the picture, I will number them from 1 to 5.

In terms of success repotting, I would say that 2, 4 and 5 have an excellent chance of making it.

I would try mounting 1 and 3 and see what happens. JMO

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

I can not find much info on mounting. Does anyone have a method that has some degree of success?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by moniluhum View Post
    I can not find much info on mounting. Does anyone have a method that has some degree of success?
    Dio you mean any orchid Monica or Oncidium types specifically? I chopped up an Oncidium a few days ago and will probably mount it next week so I'd like to here some opinions as well.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Mounting or potting will require the plants to grow whole new root systems, and the choice of substrate is totally up to you, as the plant will adapt to pretty much anything. However, the amount of effort it takes to care for the plant varies greatly, so that should be the deciding factor.

Monica, living where you do, the high humidity is a major "plus" to the plants. Chris, you may be seeing that now, but come winter, you're going to need to water "mounties" (poor choice of word for a Canadian, eh?) once or twice a day.

Take those bare-root plants and soak them for several hours in a KelpMax solution, and that'll "kick start" the re-rooting process. When you mount them, consider a layer of sphagnum over (not under) the roots, and make sure you tie them firmly to the mount, as any movement at all will discourage root growth.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

So in a humid environment the plant goes directly on the mount ( I have fir bark or cork) and sphagnum on top. Is there anyhting else I can do?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

"Chris, you may be seeing that now, but come winter, you're going to need to water "mounties" (poor choice of word for a Canadian, eh?) once or twice a day." Actually, couldn't have thought of a better one.

I don't have a problem with winter Ray but I'm convinced you are correct about the humidity being the cause of the spotting and deterioration in general during the summer. Winter I can control the humidity very easily by adjusting the humidifier on the furnace. I maintain it at 60-65%. The Oncidium alliance plants grow well and don't spot. Summer is the issue. Once I have to turn on the AC I start having problems. Humidity drops to around 20% and there is not a lot I can do. The outside temps are going to hit the 90F mark for the next few days with 55-65% humidity. I'd love to put them outside but except for a very few semi-shade areas along the fence (and they're already full) its pretty sun baked.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Chris. I was in Montreal the last week of June to bury my mother. It was HOT and humid. I will always love CANADA and cant wait to go back. Back to the issue. I have grown many of my Onc's inside because I thought they did not like high temps. I am sure the humidity is not very high. Any one have success growing Oncs, like Sherry Barry, outside in high heat?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Chris. I was in Montreal the last week of June to bury my mother. It was HOT and humid. I will always love CANADA and cant wait to go back. Back to the issue. I have grown many of my Onc's inside because I thought they did not like high temps. I am sure the humidity is not very high. Any one have success growing Oncs, like Sherry Barry, outside in high heat?
    Very sorry for your loss Monica. Hope you can get back soon for a happier occasion. I know one Oncidium alliance grower who lives less than a mile from me produces spectacular plants but that is in a greenhouse. I'd like to hear some thoughts on the temperature question as well.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

So in a humid environment the plant goes directly on the mount ( I have fir bark or cork) and sphagnum on top. Is there anyhting else I can do?
    Monica, the humidity will affect your watering frequency, but has nothing to do with the mounting technique.

In my experience, if you put sphagnumunder the roots, between them and the mount, they will grow into that, and never fully attach to the mount.