Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Cross Pollination

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Josie
    Member's Country Flag

Default Cross Pollination

Can I cross pollinate a dendrobium and phalanopsis orchid?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

No, the two genus are too distantly related.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

The simplest difference is that the phal is monopodial, while the den is sympodial, and there has never been a cross of the two types.

I think some older jargon that is still used - dendrobium-phalaenopsis, for example - can be quite deceiving, and lead to the assumption that it's a hybrid, when in fact, it is a dendrobium that has flowers that are reminiscent of phalaenopsis.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

"The simplest difference is that the phal is monopodial, while the den is sympodial, and there has never been a cross of the two types."

Hmm, learn something new every day!

Real Name
    Josie
    Member's Country Flag

Aah, I see. I had to look up monopodial and sympodial.....lol. It makes sense. So I can only cross pollinate orchids of the same species, correct?

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Josie0224 View Post
    Aah, I see. I had to look up monopodial and sympodial.....lol. It makes sense. So I can only cross pollinate orchids of the same species, correct?
    Its complicated. Orchids are classified as a family (Orchidaceae). We refer to most types by their genus (Cattleya, Paphiopedilum, Dendrobium). Within a genus there are often many species. Between family and genus there are additional levels of formal classification, the most commonly mentioned are usually tribe and subtribe. Alliance is not a formal level of classification, but it often corresponds to a group that will cross with each other - sometimes easily, sometimes with great difficulty - and usually is called by the name of a prominent genus - Cattleya alliance, Oncidium alliance. Alliance is often pretty close to subtribe in the formal levels of classification. So, now that some terms have been defined - most orchids will cross with almost any species in the same genus, and often with most species in the same alliance or subtribe, and rarely with some others in the same tribe.

---------- Post Merged at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    I think some older jargon that is still used - dendrobium-phalaenopsis, for example - can be quite deceiving, and lead to the assumption that it's a hybrid, when in fact, it is a dendrobium that has flowers that are reminiscent of phalaenopsis.
    There are several genera with a species called phalaenopsis - Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis, Dendrobium phalaenopsis, Caucaea (Miltoniopsis, Oncidium) phalaenopsis, Vanilla phalaenopsis. In all cases (including genus Phalaenopsis) this is a comparison to a moth in some aspect of appearance. That is the meaning of phalaenopsis - looks like a moth. It isn't necessarily a comparison to genus Phalaenopsis at all, though flowers of Dendrobium phalaenopsis and its hybrids do look rather like flowers of some species in genus Phalaenopsis.

Real Name
    Josie
    Member's Country Flag

Ok. I get it. I have just started researching and haven't come across anything specifying classification with Orchids. But I do learn something new every time I watch a new video or read about them. I am glad I came across this forum.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Don't be in a big hurry to do any crossing. Unlike other plants, orchid seed does not contain any nutrient stores. In nature, the seed must be infected by a symbiotic fungus, which pumps in sugars, for germination.

In captivity, we sow the seed onto nutrient-rich substrates under sterile conditions, into flasks. It may be any where from several weeks to several months before the seed germinates, and the process may take moving them once or more onto different nutrient-rich substrates over the next months-to-years, before they are large enough to remove from the flask and pot up.

So basically, the time from pollination to flowering of your hybrid - if it "takes" in the first place - can be as few as 2-3 years, or as long as a decade or more.

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

On the other hand, if the process of making orchid hybrids interests you, there is no reason not to try. There are commercial labs that will take your seeds and return small seedlings in a year or 2, for a fee of course. Growing seedlings to maturity is a challenge many people enjoy once they are comfortable with basic orchid culture. So, investigate the process, know what you're getting into, and have at it.

Just a few recommendations. Only pollinate a plant that is mature size, healthy and grows well for you. A weak plant can get even weaker trying to produce seeds, and if you can't grow the parent well you probably won't be able to grow the seedlings either. Choose parents that are at least average flower quality, the best you have. And don't use NoIDs for breeding, only plants with a full correct name. The process takes considerable time and some expense, there is no point going through it if you can't produce something worth the effort.