Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NYC Inter. Orchid Show PICS Here

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Wonderful pics... thank you for letting us share this show of urs...

As for the purchases, I think you all did good... orchid growing is a learning experience... and remember that your grow areas will have little apots which are brighter or shadier, and hotter or cooler... so figure out what the plants want and just go and buy more lights or heaters

I think that Vascostylis will probably be a little easier with the light than a straight out Vanda... Rhyncostylis aren't as much of a light hog, but it's about optimising the growing environment so the plants flower... so all I'm gonna say now is Good Luck Kirstie!

As for FLora's ORchids, I got that for Xmas and it's an excellent book... so pretty and informative.

ps.. sorry for rabbitting on... blame the wine...

I have a love affair with wine too hehe...
    Julie, I was kidding with you - cause I know most of all it's up to me... and I still like you... hehe!!
    I am open to ALL suggestions on how to help it live. This hotel room is not the way - I know that much!!! There is NO light, and it is either too hot or too cold in this joint! UGH!!!!
    I also realized last night when looking at what some of my plants would bloom into that I bought one of the wrong ones and I'm so mad!!! In my quest to find the BEST looking plant, I missed looking at the tag of one... so sad....
    Off to find something to do with the kids in NYC while the husband works...

Visit the Museum of Natural History - it was one of my favs growing up!

Julie

Don't forget the Central Park zoo. They got a great tropical exhibit! Thats the only reason I go to that one.

Ptaszek and Tind-O, you guys' pictures are amazing. I feel like I was there myself! You guys stopped at $60 purchases? Everytime I go to orchid show, if I could stop at $200, I call it lucky ...
    Cheers. Hoa.

We made it to the Natural History museum and walked all around this morning. Walked thru Central Park to see the statues of Alice in Wonderland and Balto - very fun - walked too far with 2 small kids...

I came home to find my Paph stem broken down! I am SO upset!! I went down to show the management and I know there is nothing they can do... I used the bread tie to hold it up above the crack and I hope somehow it will be OK because it didn't get a chance to open and show me my first Paph bloom.... I'm just so sad!!!!

Gonna unwind before dinner. And gonna have a lot of wine to get over feeling bad... hmm, maybe I should just order a new Paph - just to make myself feel better again... hehe!

I'd expect the hotel to make good on the cost of the plant. It's just a flower, and not the whole plant, true - but the person cleaning the room screwed up, and the hotel definitely should make good on that.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoa Tony Nguyen
    Ptaszek and Tind-O, you guys' pictures are amazing. I feel like I was there myself! You guys stopped at $60 purchases? Everytime I go to orchid show, if I could stop at $200, I call it lucky ...
    Cheers. Hoa.
    Like I said, I went by myself so no one was around telling me, "oh this is the last time in a year you will get this chance", "$60.00, you are a wimp, get something else"... "Cesar, Look at that!!! Look how nice, that will look great on that table you got by the window!". So I didnt get to $200.00 though I went with $200 in cash. I'm glad muggers arent interested in orchids, otherwise they would know who to target. Yikes!

Tikva, oh no! I can't believe it. I would have marched down stairs to reception and had a temper tantrum, doing wheelies on the floor infront of thier concierge or something! And then I would have thought about revenge, but eventually chickened out, im just not bad enough to go through with all the stuff that gets in my head when Im mad, Now, when I need to think of pretty things, I can add orchids to my list.

You guys should have seen the face I made everytime some one walked by me on the subway, I always thought they were gonna snap the flowered spikes of my new Phals when passing by. Then when I let my guard down, some lady hit the spike dead on! I saw the following in slow motion: The spike started contracting as the womans coat pressed on its end. I saw the flowers bend into unnatural positions and I though, NOOOOO! I move the spike out of the way just in time to avoid any damage. Thank God!
    I hope everyone else had better luck with their purchases.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

went to the show on Saturday with my mother. she was happy with the overwhelming preponderance of phals there. I was looking for paphs/phrags, as in past years there have been some very nice paphs, including FCC rothschildianum, monster white complexes, cutting edge multifloral hybrids (never very many sandy hybrids but I can imagine why). so I thought the show this year...well, from my perspective, it stunk. yeah there were nice plants, but from the slipper standpoint, it really really stunk. the show tables reflected that too, I wasn't tempted to buy a single paph. oh well, there's always next year (and the internet I suppose with all those vendors offering phrag. kovachii "futures").

sorry for ranting. and apologies to those who are not obsessed with the slippers--probably a better show from your standpoint without all those ugly paphs!

pics to follow later.

Actually, I did think that for a Paph lover the show didnt offer much. For me who had never seen any in real life, I was blown away by the few that were at the show. But I don't remember seeing a single one at the vendor tables.