Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

View Poll Results: Are you a member of AOS?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 35.37%
  • No

106 64.63%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a member of AOS?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Remember Piper...I said STUDENT...still learning...but I've got pretty good ideas on what judges look for.

"Most" hybrid flowers are expected to be flat or near flat...they present themselves better that way...but species and primarys (or close to primarys) are given more latitude...if the species is typically not flat. One of the favorite expressions of judges is "Its doing what its supposed to do."...meaning it is typical for that species or hybrid.

Basically, plants and flowers are awarded if they're seen as an improvement over previously awarded plants or flowers...this is where research and comparrisons come in. Slides and descriptions of previous awards are looked at, flowers counted and measured, good and bad points are discussed, and then, if just one probationary or accreddited judges wants to score the plant, then all the judges award points from different categories, a perfect score being 100...An average score of 75 or better will get you a HCC, 80-90 an AM, and 90-100 an FCC...

I've left out a lot...but this is the basic idea for flower quality awards. If you think you have a plant or flower that might be worthy of an award, post a notice on the forum for information on past awards...many members have Wildcatt or Orchidwiz or the new AOS e-awards program that will give you an idea of past awards to the grex, clone, or species. But you'll have to get it to a judged show or judging center for the final look.

c.

Thanks, Catfan!

I still have a thousand questions, but this was interesting! (I do have Orchidwiz, but unfortunately, it's a bit lean on photos for awarded grexes.)

Julie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

used to be a member for a number of years...enjoyed the "Bulletin" as it was called back then. was never a fan of the new "orchids" rag, didn't quite do it for me. also the relatively paucity of stuff I was actually interested in, and rising costs, and that was that.

I am not a member of AOS but is a member of the POS or Philippine Orchid Society!

Default Orchid Society membership

I am not an AOS member even though I have thought about it, but I'd rather put the cash into my collection. I am a member of the New Hampshire Orchid Society though. Sometimes the meeting location is not the easiest one for me to get to (bedford), and the Maine Orchid Society is just as far. Maybe there should be a Rollinsford Orchid Society...but I'd be the only member.

I've decided not to join for now. Pe'haps when I'm a bit more aquainted with money. Thank you all, the results are interestin indeed! 2:1!!!! not members!

Smile Thoughts on Member of AOS

No, I am not a member of the AOS. I understand their need for a AOS however, they need to work on making it more useful for the average orchid enthusiast.

I do belong to 2 orchid society`s, one meets at Tuesday at 10am and the other meets Thursday night 7pm. They were one Orchid Society at one time and then as life goes politics/people created a split. Once you wade through the politics it can be very enjoyable.

I believe anyone wanting to learn more should join an orchid club.

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

I am a member of the AOS. Although not an active member in terms of participation in their activities.
    My relationship with them is a mutually benign one. My membership gets me the monthly magazine which is nice, and the membership fee contributes to their conservation efforts.

I don't care much about society/club politics and stuff. I try to take in and share as much objective information as I can from them, but I leave all the politics and drama on the meeting halls where they belong.

Real Name
    Denise
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Vanda, Oncidium, Dendi
    Member's Country Flag

I'm allergic to clubs. I did belong to one of the sub-groups when I first started, and will probably join another now that I've moved, but it is very hard for me to hold onto that much "disposable income" when there is a big-box that sells orchids across the street, my favorite grocery store now sells orchids.... and I have good relations with a couple of online sellers since I got past the anxiety over shipments.

I had been for years but when the price went up I decided it was not worth it. I feel they cater to Southern Florida members and I had other issues. I support my local OS and I subscribe to Orchid Digest.