Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Onc and Intergenic Repotting Discusion

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Default Onc and Intergenic Repotting Discusion

Please post your tips, methods, do's and don'ts for repotting Ons and Intergenics in this thread. (YES, I KNOW, YOU MAY NOT TREAT THEM THE SAME _ SO POST ABOUT EACH!!)Tell us what kind of everything - pot type, media, hormones, fungicides, tools, soak times, when to repot, why to repot, trim the roots, etc... Try to be specific when mentioning dilution rates for sprays, hormones, etc.

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Down here in New Zealand, I am using a mixture of media to grow my oncid’s and alliances.
    They range from slab through to coconut .The straight Oncids only get repotted as needed but only in the spring /early summer when new growth is underway .They get no special treatment and get potted into a pot that will allow one to two years growth .The medium that gets used has to do more with the pot size than the water requirements of the plants ,that is to say the smaller the pot the finer the media, hence for a 2 inch tube I use chopped coconut husk which has a grading of 7-30.It is quite fine ,and I am also using this for the intergenerics up to a pot size of about 5-6inch.
    The plants are removed from the pots with care, no prep work is done on the plant to start with, it is all seen to once it is out of the pot. Old mix is removed where it can and a new pot selected. and some new mix put into the bottom of the pot . The plant is cleaned up, divided if necessary, dead roots removed and old left sheaths also removed.
    The plant is now placed in the pot and new mix is used to fill the pot, trying to make sure that there are no air pockets, even if it means tapping the pot on the hard ground.
    The other main mix I use for these plants in Pine bark, grade 3 and grade 4, with grade 4 being the larger.
    As for slab culture, I am using two types of mounts the first being Tree fern and the second is branches from trees with a rough bark.
    The plants for slab culture these days don’t get anything like spag. put behind them, but get tied on using a nylon type fabric tie that I get from garden centers I find that in my conditions that holds enough moisture.

Normal watering is carried out and it may be a day or two be fore the plants a watered after repotting , but I have a misting setup that mists the plants daily.
    I have included a photo of Oncidium crispum that was mounted 12 months ago and Oncidium flexuosum back bulbs that were mounted only 3months ago.

Heres hoping that this helps you all
    MurrayName:  100_4965ac.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  100_4968ac.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  105.6 KB
    Last edited by orchid-man; April 25th, 2006 at 05:19 AM.