Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upcoming Ontario Orchid Shows

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Our show is on this weekend in Hamilton so giving this a bump.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Sorry for being rude but one last bump! Our society show is tomorrow and Sunday so if you live in the area stop by. I'll be leaving in a couple of hours to work on our table and help organize. Me organize?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Hamilton View Post
    Sorry for being rude but one last bump! Our society show is tomorrow and Sunday so if you live in the area stop by. I'll be leaving in a couple of hours to work on our table and help organize. Me organize?
    And don't forget photos as souvenir for those who live in different continent!

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

I belong to two local Societies, one of which (Bournemouth) has its Spring Show today (Saturday - its the wee small hours, 3am actually, as I write - I have been lying awake for an hour worrying about a problem - another story ! And decided to get up and have some herb tea, to try to settle me for the remainder of the night ). My entries for the show, some 16 plants, plus another dozen non- competitive for the Societies own display stand, are already packed and boxed or trayed, ready to fill my car in the morning. This is a one day show in a small Dorset town (Wimborne Minster) . This is the norm for shows in UK , apart from the London Show, Malvern International , and in some years a British Orchid Congress somewhere or other, all of which are two day shows. Next Saturday is rhe similar event for Wessex Society, and that one is near Portsmouth, in the opposite direction : many of my entries will be the same plants at both - which is quite interesting since a best in show at one , may be a 2nd or 3rd or even nowhere at the other, illustrating that judging standards are not quite as exact and reliable as judges pretend ( I gave up judging many years ago, finding arguments with other judges too wearing. There are many stupid people in the world I find !will maybe post a few pics myself, but now my tea is getting cold.
    Best of luck Chris !

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

uh oh. I forgot about the SOOS show, which saved my pocket some, but now I'll be pondering if I should head out there...... hmmm. decisions, decisions!

Real Name
    Arne Schon
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassavola, Broughtonia
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    I belong to two local Societies, one of which (Bournemouth) has its Spring Show today (Saturday - its the wee small hours, 3am actually, as I write - I have been lying awake for an hour worrying about a problem - another story ! And decided to get up and have some herb tea, to try to settle me for the remainder of the night ). My entries for the show, some 16 plants, plus another dozen non- competitive for the Societies own display stand, are already packed and boxed or trayed, ready to fill my car in the morning. This is a one day show in a small Dorset town (Wimborne Minster) . This is the norm for shows in UK , apart from the London Show, Malvern International , and in some years a British Orchid Congress somewhere or other, all of which are two day shows. Next Saturday is rhe similar event for Wessex Society, and that one is near Portsmouth, in the opposite direction : many of my entries will be the same plants at both - which is quite interesting since a best in show at one , may be a 2nd or 3rd or even nowhere at the other, illustrating that judging standards are not quite as exact and reliable as judges pretend ( I gave up judging many years ago, finding arguments with other judges too wearing. There are many stupid people in the world I find !will maybe post a few pics myself, but now my tea is getting cold.
    Best of luck Chris !
    Inexact judging - that's so true. Besides, it is hurtful. My worst story is about my Paphiopedilum delenatii. Luckily it ended well. When I took my delenatii for judging in 2015, it was considered suspicious as it could have been a hybrid (one judge was really behind the whole negative discussion). They ended the discussion by saying that it wasn't good enough to get an award anyway. I knew what I had so the next year I took it back to the same set of judges. This time it received an AM and based on its score it is one of the 20 best delenatii to be awarded ever. What a difference a year makes. I posted that one in this forum in March 2016.