I am experimenting again. I read a journal somewhere (forgot to bookmark it) they used NAA to induce seedpod before pollination of Dendrobium hybrids. They used one drop of NAA into stigma cavities of the Dendrobium, 24 hours later they pollinated the treated flowers. In the results, it was stated that NAA treated but non-pollinated flowers did not form any seedpods, which is relevant. Whereas the NAA treated and pollinated flowers produce seedpods of improved size.

So, I try to use that method on my Phal Kenneth Schubert. But 24 hours after NAA treatment, all columns are destroyed except one which is closed WITHOUT ANY POLLEN in it. I thought, "I should have pollinated it earlier without waiting 24 hours." And I thought they are goner anyway, so I let it be. To my surprise the ovaries started to swell and I have never get this to happen on my Phal Kenneth Schubert before. So far only one has drop maybe because it was a very old flower. I am not sure what will happen, we will see how it goes. It could be a "pseudo pregnancy" but I would call it a virgin seedpod because no pollen is used.

From this experiment, I learned that maybe my Phal Kenneth Schubert is lacking of hormones to get the seedpod to develop.

Name:  Seedpod1.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  Seedpod2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  49.4 KB