Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Myrmecophilia tibiana - add to collection or not?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Myrmecophilia tibiana - add to collection or not?

I am thinking of adding this to my small, but growing, collection, and have not found very much about the required culture.

Any advice would be helpful. Especially looking for info on how big this is likely to grow over the course of 2-3 years.

We currently travel between 2 houses (less than 2 hrs apart), with our main home in a small town, victorian house with large windows, east & south facing screened porch and fairly good light throughout the house.

Our other house is on Cape Cod, more contemporary, with 2 passive solar sunrooms - one in the walk-out basement, the other is a 2 story space with doors to the main living space, and windows opening to bedrooms. I plan to grow orchids and other things in these 2 spaces, though can't crowd it so much as to reduce the solar collection. There are also decks and a patio -one is Northeast, another west-facing, and one is south facing.

Until we retire to the Cape house, we will be spending a good part of the summer there - I have someone to water stuff at our main house, and can also carry some things with me for the summer and then back again in the fall. With these conditions, I need to be selective about what I buy.

Any advice or sharing of your experience will be appreciated.
    Ellen

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

This is a hot growing epiphyte that needs direct sun, being in Massachusetts you might have a problem getting this to bloom.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Myrmecophila tibicinis can get to be huge with spikes up to 12' high. Lots of info here IOSPE PHOTOS You're retirement home sounds fabulous but this one may just out grow your space

I'm looking at M. tabinia, which is a good bit smaller. Once we've moved to our retirement home, the sun isn't a problem. The sunroom isn't huge - but is 2 stories tall, entirely glass, including the roof - essentially a greenhouse. There are no vents - but there is a fan. It can be too warm on a cold, sunny winter day. Much cooler on a cloudy day.

I am still unclear on the watering and humidity needs for this plant, and whether it's potted or mounted - my impression is probably mounted, considering that it grows in the tops of trees.

Also, how fast does this grow? I don't mind if it eventually becomes huge, but if it grows quickly, it may need to wait until we're down to one house.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

I don't believe that it is a good match for the environment you will have. IOSPE shows all the other species of this genus like warm to hot or just plain hot temps. It's likely Myrmecophilia tibiana would prefer the same temperature range as the rest of the genus.

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Based on my experience my friends have this beautiful species never put under direct sunlight all the time under the shade. He can bloom once the pseudobulb is matured enough. To my surprise the inflorescence is not that long just about 1 to 3 feet only and the pseudobulb just about 6 to 9 inches only in optimum condition. Maybe is suitable under your care.

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Myrmecophila Tibiana (upper case T, its a registered hybrid) is the cross of Mcp. tibicinis x Mcp. thomsoniana. It should be a smaller plant than Mcp. tibicinis. Zain's info on size sounds about right. But shade outdoors in Malaysia may still be quite a bit of light compared to Massachusetts indoors. It may need 4500fc + in summer to really thrive considering how much less intense and shorter duration winter light will be. If a mature plant doesn't bloom it will probably be due to insufficient light. Mcp. tibicinis actually needs rather cool nights to go with hot days while Mcp. thomsoniana is fine with warm nights. The hybrid should tolerate a broad range of temps. All Mcp. need perfect drainage, but probably with frequent water if conditions are hot and bright.

Thank you all for your feedback. Considering that our 2nd home has a space similar to a greenhouse (other than no vents) plus places to hang this outside, I think i'll leave it on my wish list, but wait until closer to moving here full-time to purchase it. I think the need for frequent watering isn't a good fit with our current division of time between 2 homes.

---------- Post Merged at 10:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PaphMadMan View Post
    Myrmecophila Tibiana (upper case T, its a registered hybrid)
    Thank you for that correction! I do like to get the naming right!