Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Epiphyllum - also called Orchid Cactus

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Default Epiphyllum - also called Orchid Cactus

Not an orchid by any stretch of the imagination, but actually a tree-dwelling cactus. Blooms are a knockout, and thankfully they don't only open at night like dragon fruit does. The bloom is somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 inches.

Name:  IMG_4867_Epiphyllum_red_daytime_500.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  68.6 KB

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Always liked these Yug. Used to have 15-20 epiphytic cactus. That is a nice one!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Beautiful!

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Fantastic!

When I was in college, I picked up an E. oxypetlaum for $0.50 from a yard sale. "It just bloomed, so won't bloom again for seven years." I thought the growth habit was interesting enough, that for half-a-buck, it was worth having. Needless to say, it bloomed later that summer, and again and again.

I left it on my front porch in Atlanta, and went back to D.C. For a month, with my roommates promising to care for it. Another needless to say, when I got back it was a fried mess, with about two dozen, barely green areas in a plant in a 12" pot that was about 4' tall. Out, onto the compost heap it went.

Needless to say #3, in a matter of a couple of months, I had a whole slew of small plants growing from those pieces.

Over the next 25 years, cuttings were given away, gotten back, thrown away, and recovered, between me and literally dozens of family members and friends. I finally got rid of my last piece - 18" pot about 6' tall - in order to make greenhouse space.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Fantastic!

When I was in college, I picked up an E. oxypetlaum for $0.50 from a yard sale. "It just bloomed, so won't bloom again for seven years." I thought the growth habit was interesting enough, that for half-a-buck, it was worth having. Needless to say, it bloomed later that summer, and again and again.

I left it on my front porch in Atlanta, and went back to D.C. For a month, with my roommates promising to care for it. Another needless to say, when I got back it was a fried mess, with about two dozen, barely green areas in a plant in a 12" pot that was about 4' tall. Out, onto the compost heap it went.

Needless to say #3, in a matter of a couple of months, I had a whole slew of small plants growing from those pieces.

Over the next 25 years, cuttings were given away, gotten back, thrown away, and recovered, between me and literally dozens of family members and friends. I finally got rid of my last piece - 18" pot about 6' tall - in order to make greenhouse space.
    I had a massive oxpetalum myself. Fabulous flowers. Just got another a couple of months ago.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for all the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Fantastic!

Ray, I found a piece of an oxypetalum just laying on the sidewalk where I walk my dog around the block. I saw where the plant was that it had broken off from, but had no idea what it was. It was flat, fleshy, and about 7" x 4" and didn't look too dried up. I put it in the back on the ground leaning on the trunk of a dracena fragrans. Afer a few months I noticed that it had put out some roots and proceeded to grow a nicly shaped fleshy leaf-like branch. No blooms. The following year I noticed a thick green pole about a finger width standing vertically next to the dracena. It looked just like a green plant stake sold at a local big-box store. It proceeded to flatten and curl slightly at the top end, and then spread out nicely in 8 flat leaf-like growths, and a 9th one sticking up in the back of those. It is about 7 ft tall now, but still no blooms. Interesting looking thing, but those large white blooms would be a welcome sight.
    Name:  IMG_4867_Epiphyllum_oxypetalum_500.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  113.7 KB

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Wow Yug this is really very nice all the time I saw only white color in my country I like it so much.

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

Beautiful!

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights