Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Upcoming Ontario Orchid Show 2018

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default Upcoming Ontario Orchid Show 2018

The Orchid Society of the Royal Botanical Gardens is holding their 2018 annual show this weekend. More info here.

Annual Show | Orchid Society

Also, the London Orchid Society is on March 17th-18th 2018.

http://londonorchidsociety.com/shows.asp

Be sure to print those show coupons!

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

I am so sorry to have to say, don't bother with the London Show. I expect I will go, in the hope of bumping into old friends rather than for any other reason.

But there is also the European Orchid Conference, in Paris, at the end of March. I am making a flying visit ( literally - since I am my wife's carer, as she canot stand or walk more than a few yards without aids - but insists on me having a few hours off occasionally : for more than that I have to ask someone to come and stay with her ). So I am leaving her a couple of meals, flying to Paris in the afternoon, staying in a hotel very near the show, going there in the morning, and afternoon flight back home. There is an emergency system we subscribe to , she has a pendant, and if she presses a button, emergency services would be notified , and of course we hope it won't happen.
    But at present, I can buy plants and bring rhem back without any permits or paperwork, and I am hoping to see dealers from around the world....so a fat wallet and an empty suitcase outwards, and who knows what on the return flight. Ever the optimist , me.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    I am so sorry to have to say, don't bother with the London Show. I expect I will go, in the hope of bumping into old friends rather than for any other reason.

But there is also the European Orchid Conference, in Paris, at the end of March. I am making a flying visit ( literally - since I am my wife's carer, as she canot stand or walk more than a few yards without aids - but insists on me having a few hours off occasionally : for more than that I have to ask someone to come and stay with her ). So I am leaving her a couple of meals, flying to Paris in the afternoon, staying in a hotel very near the show, going there in the morning, and afternoon flight back home. There is an emergency system we subscribe to , she has a pendant, and if she presses a button, emergency services would be notified , and of course we hope it won't happen.
    But at present, I can buy plants and bring rhem back without any permits or paperwork, and I am hoping to see dealers from around the world....so a fat wallet and an empty suitcase outwards, and who knows what on the return flight. Ever the optimist , me.
    Perhaps the London, England show will be a wash but here in Ontario, we know how to throw a party! Odd that you can bring plants from another continent but Canadians and Americans have to get the "proper permits".

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

[QUOTE=Chris in Hamilton;45243! Odd that you can bring plants from another continent but Canadians and Americans have to get the "proper permits".[/QUOTE]

Paris is not another continent, uk and France are both in Europe. But more important, we are both in the EU, which is a single entity as far as trade is concerned. Hence, no permits needed to trade between uk and france, just as - I assume- no permits to trade between Ottawa and Toronto.
    But after Brexit.... Who knows ! But those of us who voted to leave the EU will think it worthwhile to be able to make our own rules in our own parliament, instead of being told what to do by unelected officials in Belgium. But CITES will be a problem then, and not sufficiently important for UK government to do anything about it for years and years... If ever.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Yes, I shouldn't have said "other continent". I guess my point is that while the U.K. and the rest of Europe are separated by the Channel, you do not need permits to bring plants home. The Canada U.S border is almost 4,000 miles long yet permits are needed to bring plants in as if there is something undesired that might cross that can't on its own. Many creatures have done just that. There were no Turkey vultures in Ontario until the mid 1960's but now they nest 500 miles north of the border and winter in my area. Opossums arrived here around the same time and I (avid birder) never saw a mockingbird until 1972, very close to the border. Now they nest 3-400 miles further north. Got off subject didn't I.