Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: names of things

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Brassia BABY!!

Default names of things

Ok, I know I'm all over this board today, but I have a day off, so I'm playing. My question is really about terminology and how to interpret it.

First, if a seller says their orchid is blooming size...what does that mean specifically? Does it mean it has bloomed before? or that there are a certain number of pseudobulbs present? or what?

Second, if a seller says that their orchid is specimen size...what does that mean exactly? I assume it means that it could be broken up into smaller plants, or maybe used in a hybrid...but those are just guesses. What size typically connotes specimen size?

Third, I understand what a pseudobulb is, but I don't quite get what a "lead" is. Is this the growth that will become a pseudobulb? How do you distinguish the two.

Hope this isn't too elementary. Thansk for your help
    cat

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nabakov5
    Ok, I know I'm all over this board today, but I have a day off, so I'm playing. My question is really about terminology and how to interpret it.

First, if a seller says their orchid is blooming size...what does that mean specifically? Does it mean it has bloomed before? or that there are a certain number of pseudobulbs present? or what?That really depends on the vendor. Most reputable growers would say that Blooming size means that the plant is old enough and big enough to produce a bloom in the next blooming cycle, or has already bloomed. That can mean many different things depending on the genus, species, cross, etc.

Second, if a seller says that their orchid is specimen size...what does that mean exactly? I assume it means that it could be broken up into smaller plants, or maybe used in a hybrid...but those are just guesses. What size typically connotes specimen size? This is a pretty deep discussion.. it's almost completely a personal opinion. I mean, some would be obvious - like a paph or phrag with 20 growths or so. But on other types, I haven't the slightest. It usually means it is bigger than what you would get ordering a blooming size plant. all I can say is BEWARE! Especially if it is a plant you are not familiar with.

Third, I understand what a pseudobulb is, but I don't quite get what a "lead" is. Is this the growth that will become a pseudobulb? How do you distinguish the two. Leads do indeed become p-bulbs. You can tell a lead because it is thin, a new growth coming from the base of the plant, and usually lighter and/or darker, depending on the plant coloration - at least that holds true for most of my catts.

Hope this isn't too elementary. Thansk for your help
    cat
    Hope this helps

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

We had this discussion at the last spring show of the New Zealand Orchid Society in regards to the plant that is in my avatar.Some wanted to put it into the specimen class of Austrailian Dendrobs ,but when it was considered against plants that were that large that they took up 6 feet X 8 feet,It was not.
    So using the New Zealand Orchid Societies show schedule.The definition of a specimen is :-

A single plant of unusual size for the genus and exhibiting fine culture and floriferousness.