Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My sick and dead Dendrobiums...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Okay, no it is out back still. The other green one is definitely worth keeping around. It seems ok still. Thanks Louis! Are smaller CH chunks ok?

Heather, you dont want to go too small on the medium. The smaller pieces will restrict the airflow too much. Most of what you described here actually seems pretty normal for some Dens. I have had a few that have gone through very similar things and bloomed very aggressively when the time came. Leaf loss on many Dens is normal, and it almost always looks splotchy and yellow like you described.

Thanks Forest. The one that looked better I just filled around the existing coconut husk with some that is a bit smaller. So, it is mostly still in its original media.

Do you think the den in the top pic is over potted? I thought dens like smallish pots.

Lisa

Hmm, maybe. It wasn't until I pulled its' friend out of there....

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I'm only familiar with the "fine" and "medium" CHC--the fine looks like fine bark, while the medium looks like medium bark (although it will have some pieces that are very large). I wouldn't use the fine stuff for dends unless it's a seedling. Good luck!

Default Poor Poor Dends:(

I feel so bad for the little guys!!!!I want to hug them(i know i'm crazy but hugging things is a common occurence in my home!!!lol)I have yet to get a dend but i think there lovely i hope you can fix these ones and then tell me what was wrong so i know when i get mine...someday!!!!!Good luck i hope they feel like staying around!!!!

LOL! Lucan - sorry, you're a bit late - if you wish, I can send you the remainder!? Let's just say I'm "done w/ the dends!"
    Good riddance....

Default AWWWW to bad!!!Dont give up on dends!!!!there so cool!!!

You shouldn't give up on dends there such pretty plants!!!!It sucks that they all died i would be heart broken!!!!!I think dends are gorgeous and hope to aquire one some day.Did you ever figure out what was wrong with them?I am about to give up on my odontioda's too there just such a pain in the butt!!!!!But knowing me I'll see another then another and buying them all!!!lol)Well don't give up on them!!!don't you dare!!!! were hear for you if you need a shoulder to cry on.And to get over your loss i think you should go out and buy double the amount of orchids you lost!!!!

good luck

Ohhh, Lucan, you have been away *too* long my dear boy...if you would like, I still have both not so great dends. They are not dead yet. I'd be happy to send them to you for free!!! No shoulder needed thank you - need the room more!

Do some reading around the board and know I've done my share of purchasing as of late. Hmmm, *way* way more than double what I lost - like maybe 25 or so? LOL! No more dends for me though, I'm afraid! My heart has gone over to the dark side....mwa ha ha ha!!!