Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: To Repot or Not.....

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Default To Repot or Not.....

Hi all,

I picked up a few new orchids....was a buy 5 BS orchids for a set price w/shipping that I couldn't pass up.

Need some advice.....One of these new ones is a Odtna. Lorraine's 14th. I sort of think it needs repotting (see below first photo). The last time I tried to repot a new Oncid. type orchid that came in this condition (or worse, actually) I nearly killed it. If this one does need repotting, advice for pot size and medium? It's in about a 3 inch pot now....I'd guess.

The next one that I'm wondering about is a Bllra. Tahoma Glacier. Also appears to me to need repotting. (see sideways photo below, somehow I have photos on read only and it won't let me rotate, sorry....)

Same questions...repot or not, if so, pot size/type and medium type?

I also got a Colm. Jungle Monarch 'everglades' which I don't think needs repotting. See last photo below---

Thanks so much!

MtEquine
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default re-potting oncidium alliance

You have a group of very healthy plants and a good assortment. All are popular easy to grow plants.

I receive a lot that look like this or even more overgrown. They look like they are in four inch pots (pots are measured across the top). Surprisingly the plants could stay in these pots longer and still be healthy, but I assume you want to re-pot since they fall over too easy.

Never re-pot into a pot larger than 1/2 to one inch bigger than the current pot even if that pot also is too small. Yours should have no problem going up an inch. This growing season and the orchid should take re-potting well now.

Re-potting oncidiums have two problems. If there is too much new medium around the outside of the plant it dries too slow and rot can develop. This is the reason to keep the pot small. Often I will re-pot a plant like your first one simply by changing the medium if necessary and moving it in the same pot off to the side so that it stands up.

Second the roots are going to be a tangled mass on the first plant. Cutting and breaking roots are scary but really not a big problem.

Remove the plant from the plastic pot by squeezing it and sliding it out. The roots will be growing in a circle around the pot and you will probably not see anything else but roots.

These plants often grow in a half circle in a four inch pot and your first one is doing this. When you have it out of the pot looking at it from the position of the yellow name tag toward the plant you will have the new growth away from you. This is the point where it is easiest to work the roots open. Start at the top and work the circular roots loose. Even though these are extremely healthy looking I have learned to not be concerned about breaking or cutting these. They grow back fast.

Check the medium in the center of the plant. you will probably have to remove Styrofoam pellets to see it. If it looks bad replace it (probably sphagnum moss) by puling it down from the center and pushing new moss up into the void before putting it in the new pot.

If you were interested in dividing the plant you would open the half circle when the roots are loose and gently spreading the bulbs a cutting point will present itself. To re-pot for growing into a specimen plant move the plant to the side of the new pot.

You also can consider mounting these on wood. These plants have a tendency to grow up out of a pot. They do very well mounted.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

We always repot when we get new plants. It is a way to make sure everything is 'growing' well and that your plants are all in healthy potting material. The first two photos show plants that really should be repotted, the third I would repot since doing three is just about as easy as doing two.

To do the repot: Follow the repotting guide here: REPOT You do not need to divide anything. Use an orchid bark mix you can get at a box store if you do not mix up your own. Healthy plants will not give you much problems when repotting if you follow the right steps.

Cheers!
    BD

I am sorry the photo did not display. One of these addresses should work

Name:  Onc.MakeeiixornithorhycumBosoSweet2307.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by Brutal_Dreamer; June 6th, 2006 at 11:41 AM. Reason: See Terms and Conditions.

Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the repotting info on these plants. Have some phal's that I know I need to repot too that I recently aquired, so will have to get some bark mix soaking.

That mounted Oncid. is lovely, p-bulbs sure look plump and happy. I have a Brassavola nodosa that is bark mounted and has a bit of sphag on it. I have a TERRIBLE time keeping the humidity level where it needs to be, I live in the west. Wouldn't I be misting a mounted Oncid like 12 times a day to keep it as happy as the one in that photo?

MtEquine