Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first society meeting with Glen Decker there

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default My first society meeting with Glen Decker there

I am very excited to go and hope everything falls into place for my first society meeting. I don't know what to expect and thought I would ask all of you veterans - is there anything I should know or expect? Glen Decker will be presenting a talk and bringing plants.
    Mostly, I just want to know if there is anything I should bring or prepare for... I'm so looking forward to going.

Did you organize it???

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! If you don't have room for any more orchids... DON'T TAKE ANY MONEY! Otherwise, bring your wallet, and if you have a plant that you would like to get an opinion on as to care, growth, etc. bring that too. Everyone at those meetings is (or things they are) an expert. Have a great time and be sure to tell us about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindomul1of9
    Did you organize it???

ME?!?! Nope LOL. I couldn't bring myself to go to a meeting in all these months since I've been into orchids LOL!!!
    I've just really been wanting to meet some experts and maybe make some pals that live nearby that can help me learn and pot and plant and buy the right things and maybe make orders together....

Diane, I have room, since I just put a couple in the hospital (which is the only stop on Tikva's route to the trashcan.... And I have had such BAD luck with the paphs in bloom I have bought. First the evil hotel maid and the evil hotel that ignored my frequent requests for reimbursement... and the other one I bought in bud almost ready to open in NYC - the bud just fell right off on me!! What the heck?! And when I went to repot it - it turned into 2 plants. I now have 4 Paphs I haven't ever seen bloom and I look inside their leaves daily at least twice to see if anything is peeking out rofl!!!! I want to come home with maybe 2 Paphs. One pretty girly colored one that would be sure to make you proud too Diane :c) And another with very long .... gosh, what are those long leaves called? again....
    Yay yay yay so excited! lol

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Paph Delenati or Paph Delrosi (not sure I spelled that correctly) are very nice "girly" paphs. Pale pinks, sometimes fragrant, not hard to grow. But whatever you see that you like, you buy As for those long things on other paphs and phrags, those are petals...

petals huh? That seemed to easy in orchid speak. I would have guessed that but I thought they had some impossible to say out loud technical name haha!!

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

good luck and have fun meeting all those crazies Tikva... the good thing about orchid societies is that they will make you realise that wanting to have a million orchids is normal!

[IMG]http://www.********************************/community/gallery/data/519/medium/Paphiopedilum_Deirosi.JPG[/IMG]

Thats a good choice to go after.

Very pretty!
    Easy grower? Hard die-er?

Beats me. I wish I was born knowing all this. I still can't believe I actually remembered the name of an orchid that wasn't the genus name. Usually I can't tell a Paph. Delrosi from a Phrag. anything.