Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: LED panels. Anybody use something like this?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Default LED panels. Anybody use something like this?

I consider trying a few of these for my paphs. Anybody in here use something like that?
    They are either 30w or 45w, 12" x 12"

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

While I'm sure they'd be fine, and I'd always go for more wattage - as well-thought-out as such a panel may be, it really doesn't add much over using some white Cree outdoor floodlights available from the big, orange hardware store, and likely costs a great deal more. Not to mention the odd coloration your plants will appear with so little white light in those panels.

The particular lamp I have used is a 19W, 3000°K, 40° floodlight, and costs about $13, plus fixtures. I just used clamp-on types, costing under $9 each, so you could have the equivalent wattage for $66, not to mention more flexibility in positioning.

Real Name
    Arne Schon
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassavola, Broughtonia
    Member's Country Flag

I would agree with Ray completely. To that I can also add that I tried one square blue/red/white next to one white light, LED, 5000 K (same shape, same number of watt). Based on one years usage it is pretty clear that the result was much better with the white LED. Although the wavelengths of the blue/red seem to make sense, the light hitting the plants is less compared to the white light. You will also notice that the blue/red light assembly gets warmer and that's how the blue/red light energy is lost. In addition, the plants look seriously sick under the blue/red light. From now on I will only buy white light and choose high power (more watt).

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

I have one 245watt panel made by a well known European maker as a horticultural light, which I use mounted on a track light, so that it moves back and forth along a 2 metre track (6' 8") and lights a patch about 5' wide and say 8' long. Seems to be good, certainly various plants below it are growing and flowering well - in particular Dendrobiumbigibbum type hybrids, , a big Miltonia more liana currently starting to open six spikes, and a couple of trays of Phalaenopsis seedlings. Probably a pic of the set up in a series of postings I did a coupe of months ago about my complete greenhouse set-up.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

I just ordered two 30w LED floodlights in daylight color. Will make an experiment with them for a while to see how they perform.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Okay. first tests give me plenty of light for paphs, using only two 30w floodlights for a 90x45cm shelf. only the temp might be a problem as they don't give the same heat as the bulbs do. Working on it.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

But that is one of the points ( advantages) of LEDs - they don't fry the plants !

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

True, but since I use an unheated room in my basement, they need to give enough to bring up temp a few degrees.
    I think I'm good to go though, but I'll wait with moving plants for a few days. Won't hurt to monitor it for a few days 🙂
    I'm working on a system that will allow me to have both cold and warm plants almost side by side. It'll work - it has to 😁
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

I had my "seedling nursery" in an unheated basement, and I added heat via the inexpensive heat mats that are intended to fit under standard nursery trays. They were 17 watts, a bit over 9" x 18", don't need a controller (just plug them in) and with plants sitting right on them, they are designed to boost the root zone temperature about 10-15F.