Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: What's growing here?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default What's growing here?

And the GOOD news is - it's not MOLD or SNAILS!!!
    I do think this section should be renamed in my honor though. Maybe "Tikva's all encompassing dumb questions for all the experts"

This is my Phal. I am a bit fearful that it's growing mold up thru the stem, but I don't think I can fix it if it is. And I could just be paranoid. The roots are good and it's growing something there.... I wish it were a spike, but it's already in spike...

The second is my Lusidia discolor Jewel orchid... Is it only more leaves? I looked at pictures online and see that they grow straight up. I didn't notice many growing leaves out the sides like this. But I also think that spikes come right out of the leaves too - straight up... I think I see a discolored leaf growing out of the growth so that's probably all it is... But at least it's growing something healthy

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

The description you gave isn't clear ---- are you talking about the green nubbin at the botton rightside of the plant?

Yes, on both of them... are they both just new leaves?

Not sure about the jewel orchid but the 1st one looks like it growing a new root. But you never know it might still be a spike yet. I have seen a phal carried 3 spikes at one time.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

The phal at this point looks like a new spike, we'll have to wait a bit and see how it goes. could be a root, but from the picture looks more like a spike. Definitely not a bad thing. The other one appears to be a a new branch, but I don't know much about jewel orchids. Again, it doesn't appear to be anything bad..

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

I go along with Diane's assessment but would add that the phalkie could be doing a keikei

Iam confused abut putting polycarbonateon the roof my slat house.the polycarbonate supply state the material lets 20% light how do I figure what shade cloth i need to achieve a 50% shade for my vandas and cats.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking. Until I took the picture, I had no idea which the Jewel orchid was growing, but I do think it's another branch (boring... lol). And my totally uneducated guess was a spike for the Phal - because it's pointed not round like a root. But like it's growing up and something neat. And because it's in the same place on the other side as the spike I have. I had some trouble with it because I ran out of potting material and then had to soak it, so it was not potted for a few days. Anyway, it dropped all it's flowers but one. I dont know growth habits of orchids yet, but thought it odd that it would spike when it already has one. I sort of imagined if it were going to multi spike that it would do them sort of all at once... but spiking would be cool with me...

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Some orchids are just determined to bloom. Spikes start whenever the plant feels like it. (note: behaviour similar to felines) It could be a keiki start, like orchid man said, but at this point it is too early to know for sure. Give it a week or so and then post another photo.....

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Iam confused abut putting polycarbonateon the roof my slat house.the polycarbonate supply state the material lets 20% light how do I figure what shade cloth i need to achieve a 50% shade for my vandas and cats.
    to work out the shade cloth needed to get to 50% shade when using polycarbonate with a 20% rating as a start :-

no shade = X,lets say 100

we are wanting to get 100 / 2 = 50

100 - 20% = 80

shade cloth comes in 25-30%,50% and 70-75%

25% of 80 = 20
    30% of 80 = 26
    50% of 80 = 40
    75% of 80 = 60

so 80 - ? = 50
    so 80 - 30 =50
    from above it can be seen that there is no shade cloth that has the percentage that we require.

I would personally go to the 50% in this case as it is better to have slightly less light than what would be the ideal of 50%,which would give us 60% shading where as 30% would give us 46% shading