Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: How do you know if there's mold in the stem?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default How do you know if there's mold in the stem?

I'm really worried about my Phal with the spike / leaf / keiki whatever growing. The leaves have been looking yellowish wrinkly like they will fall off. They are still on solidly, but they aren't looking great. I'm having a look down inside the potting mix at the stem, but I just can't tell. From my other 2 experiences, I'm really worried, but you can't tell till the leaves fall off and you see down inside the stem.
    Is there anything I can do to stop the mold if it's there already?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Are the yellow leaves the bottom ones? Those drop off naturally throughout the plants lifecycle. You last picture seemed to look fine. Why do you think there is mold?

I think there is mold because the plant seems to be slightly worse in passing time. Not enough that I am SURE, but I found my intuition is pretty right on. AND I have molded almost all of my Phals now!
    The bottom ones are slightly yellower and slightly wrinkled.
    If there isn't preventitive measure to be taken for mold for just in cast, I will just sit back and wait...
    I hope things will change now that I know to be very careful with watering and I have the fan going. And I won't be buying any Phals for a bit I think. I'll see how I do with what I have left...

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

But if you have more than one yellow leaves, you should be alarmed. I have seen mold in bark or lava rock, haven't seen one in sphag. I said if you are too worry, pour some peroxide on molded area.

Qing

Can I pour peroxide down into where the leaves meet the stem? And will it be harmful if there is nothing wrong? Or even if there is?

I had 2 Phals die on me this week because I didn't know that water would hurt them so much inside. The roots were pretty good but the leaves got weak and fell off. I could see the whole inside of the stems rotted away, while below the surface and the potting material, it all looked fine like nothing was wrong. I understand now that it was just the water rotting inside the stem and molding it...

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

I used to be too worried with my plants (so worried, I can't even sleep well when I thought my plant was having problems). I poured straight bleach (I read about using 10% bleach can cure crown rot, but I changed it to 100%) into the crown of my phal thinking it was getting crown rot. But after a few good savings on some of my sick plants, I am more relexed now. As others have said, you gain experience by killing a few.

Qing

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

I don't think peroxide is harmful to the plant even if there is no problem. Yes, you can pour into the area where the leave meets. You may put a fan next to the plant so any residual water will evaporate fast.

Qing

If you use peroxide be sure to dry it after. Hydrogen peroxide will become regular water after a while. Especially if it fizzes. So then you are back to square one.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

I just had a crown rot case last week, but I don't think it is my fault. It is a newly arrived (less than one week), and it had signs of prior rot. One night, I left it at a spot that the fan won't blow to it, the next morning, I found two growths were mushy and felt off. If I had noticed it had rot before, I would have dug it into peroxide or physan already. I was happy though I got a replacement for that plant.

Qing

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Peroxcide can be used as a drench 2 cups of 3% to a gal. of water to get rid of fungus knats . I use it straight for rot trouble .
    Good info. Tindo . G