Views: 826
Size:  187.2 KBName:  Best-amateur-display.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  217.0 KBName:  Bulbo.Eliz...jpg
Views: 297
Size:  176.6 KBName:  Bulbo-c-up.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  115.0 KB

I mentioned in recent posts about our British Orchid Congress , this week-end at Writhlington School- which I have also mentioned in posts from time to time. It is a 3 day event, although day 1 is setting up the displays by ( as it turned out) a dozen traders, and maybe 10 of the British Orchid Societies, followed by the evening preview of the show for Registrants only, with a buffet meal; then the show open to the public and registrants too for today (Saturday) and tomorrow.There are demonstrations, and lectures - two sets, one for the general public and some amateurs, the other more scientific. I take more than a mere interest as I started British Orchid Council going some almost 50 years ago - getting the major orchid societies together for the inaugural meeting etc etc.then served on several of the committees, until just before their first major event ( the first Congress, like this current 27th Congress ) but then I had to sell all my orchids and go to live abroad to open and run an office for my firm - a big promotion for me of course ) and it was 3 years later before I started growing again, and I never got into the BOC loop. It is amusing ( but galling) from time to time to hear stories about various people all claiming to have started BOC, and who in fact had nothing to do with it - but after 50 years most of those really involved have gone to grow orchids in a better place...
However, these days due to my advancing age and increasing dislike of driving long distances , and my wife's poor health, we went together and stayed at a hotel last night, intending for me to spend the day at the show , but she was rather poorly this morning so we cut short our visit, and I only spent an hour, buying afew plants and taking a dozen pics on my phone, of which four are here - the judging had not finished by the way, although some ribbons had been distributed. The big pink cattleya was amazing - won something, but I don't know how far ; must be a candidate for best in show. The group, was then best amateur display - not by my Society alas... and then two pics of a favourite Bulbophyllum - This is B.Elizabeth "Bucklebury" which carries the high honour of FCC/RHS . What a grand orchid !.
More pics in the next posts, but without all this chat first.