Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: a few pics from Writhlington Orchid show

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default a few pics from Writhlington Orchid show

Name:  Good-cattleya.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  187.2 KBName:  Best-amateur-display.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  217.0 KBName:  Bulbo.Eliz...jpg
Views: 295
Size:  176.6 KBName:  Bulbo-c-up.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  115.0 KB

I mentioned in recent posts about our British Orchid Congress , this week-end at Writhlington School- which I have also mentioned in posts from time to time. It is a 3 day event, although day 1 is setting up the displays by ( as it turned out) a dozen traders, and maybe 10 of the British Orchid Societies, followed by the evening preview of the show for Registrants only, with a buffet meal; then the show open to the public and registrants too for today (Saturday) and tomorrow.There are demonstrations, and lectures - two sets, one for the general public and some amateurs, the other more scientific. I take more than a mere interest as I started British Orchid Council going some almost 50 years ago - getting the major orchid societies together for the inaugural meeting etc etc.then served on several of the committees, until just before their first major event ( the first Congress, like this current 27th Congress ) but then I had to sell all my orchids and go to live abroad to open and run an office for my firm - a big promotion for me of course ) and it was 3 years later before I started growing again, and I never got into the BOC loop. It is amusing ( but galling) from time to time to hear stories about various people all claiming to have started BOC, and who in fact had nothing to do with it - but after 50 years most of those really involved have gone to grow orchids in a better place...
    However, these days due to my advancing age and increasing dislike of driving long distances , and my wife's poor health, we went together and stayed at a hotel last night, intending for me to spend the day at the show , but she was rather poorly this morning so we cut short our visit, and I only spent an hour, buying afew plants and taking a dozen pics on my phone, of which four are here - the judging had not finished by the way, although some ribbons had been distributed. The big pink cattleya was amazing - won something, but I don't know how far ; must be a candidate for best in show. The group, was then best amateur display - not by my Society alas... and then two pics of a favourite Bulbophyllum - This is B.Elizabeth "Bucklebury" which carries the high honour of FCC/RHS . What a grand orchid !.
    More pics in the next posts, but without all this chat first.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default More from Writhlington Orchid Show

Name:  Greenhouse-range.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  73.0 KBName:  C.mossiae-forms.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  176.1 KBName:  Cooel-fimb.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  156.8 KBName:  Inca-Fire.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  116.7 KB

First pic is of the greenhouse range at the school - six houses, each offering a different set of climate conditions - controlled by the physics department I imagine, and this is apart from the labs, where they do the flasking, and other work .With free labour ( the kids) often sop that 2 teenagers care for one specimen orchid, they can ( and do) get fantastic results . Recently they have been flying back and forth to Rwanda- yes I had to look it up to see where it is - right in the middle of Africa - with the Brit kids teaching the Rwanda kids about conservation, how to look after their natural heritage ( including the orchids of course ! ) ...we are all very proud of the work they do, and the inspirational guy- now Head of Science , at this big school - about 2000 "kids" aged 11-18 .

The other pics here - some nice C.mossiae forms, a Coelogyne fimbriata, and a Phrag - Inca Fire - maybe the best colour and shape I can recall seeing.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default last 2 Withlington pics

Name:  Lc-Ferancis-takakur.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  136.0 KBName:  CTT.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  151.5 KB

And these are the last two I had time for... CTT (?) Mem Francis Takakur I think.

Real Name
    Robb
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas!

Gorgeous photos. That Bulbo is magnificent.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    mazlan
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    bulbophyllum
    Member's Country Flag

Wow! Awesome plants and blooms. I love looking at healthy plants. So inspirational. Thanks fir sharing Geoff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Name:  Greenhouse-range.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  73.0 KBName:  C.mossiae-forms.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  176.1 KBName:  Cooel-fimb.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  156.8 KBName:  Inca-Fire.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  116.7 KB

First pic is of the greenhouse range at the school - six houses, each offering a different set of climate conditions - controlled by the physics department I imagine, and this is apart from the labs, where they do the flasking, and other work .With free labour ( the kids) often sop that 2 teenagers care for one specimen orchid, they can ( and do) get fantastic results . Recently they have been flying back and forth to Rwanda- yes I had to look it up to see where it is - right in the middle of Africa - with the Brit kids teaching the Rwanda kids about conservation, how to look after their natural heritage ( including the orchids of course ! ) ...we are all very proud of the work they do, and the inspirational guy- now Head of Science , at this big school - about 2000 "kids" aged 11-18 .

The other pics here - some nice C.mossiae forms, a Coelogyne fimbriata, and a Phrag - Inca Fire - maybe the best colour and shape I can recall seeing.
    Those kids do a better job than me at growing orchids!

---------- Post Merged at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Name:  Lc-Ferancis-takakur.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  136.0 KB
    Phalaenopsis detected!

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote. Those kids do a better job than me...Unquote.
    Actually, all thes plants are on the amateur Society group stands. The actual Writhlington School display was in another hall which I did not get to, due to my personal difficultiees. There will be a report on the show in The Orc(id Review in .the next issue I expect, and maybe I will be add something then.

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

Looks like a great show, it was too bad you could not spend as much time as you would have liked, but being old has it's drawbacks sometimes, it's a bitch to get old! Yes that Bulbophyllum was amazing!!

Real Name
    Tina
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All
    Member's Country Flag

WOW!All the plants are beautiful! Really amazing, but I absolutely love The “Inca Fire“. Thanks for sharing all the photos…