Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rntda. Hew Mun

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Smile Rntda. Hew Mun

Ren. storiei X V. denisoniana. A recent acquisition which already in bloom. But the flowers will be gone quickly I guess. Slightly different from what I've seen online > OrchidRoots. Most probably a remake.

I'm hoping the shape will be better next time it flowers.

Name:  RntdaHM2.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  43.4 KB

This picture, colour almost precise but not exactly correct.
    Name:  RntdaHM.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  60.0 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Love the deep color Azizan!

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

Color is nice, good purchase!

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

An interesting one. I have a liking for renanthera ( so easy and regular flowering for me) but the intergenerics with them have not crossed my path so far. Even hybrids among the pure genus are so rarely seen , and most of the ones I have acquired have turned out to be little different from the species. But I'll keep trying.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Any special secrets with the Renanthera Geoff? Had a mature plant for a couple of years that doesn't want to bloom for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    An interesting one. I have a liking for renanthera ( so easy and regular flowering for me) but the intergenerics with them have not crossed my path so far. Even hybrids among the pure genus are so rarely seen , and most of the ones I have acquired have turned out to be little different from the species. But I'll keep trying.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    Love the deep color Azizan!
    Thanks Sheryl. I forgot to mention the colour is red-orange not fully red.

---------- Post Merged at 01:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    Color is nice, good purchase!
    Thanks Jack. Worth the money spent.

---------- Post Merged at 01:05 PM ----------

I love Renanthera mainly due capability of producing long spike. Hope you will find some intergenerics that you want soon. I would recommend Rntda. Sunrise which is rather common.

---------- Post Merged at 01:14 PM ----------

Any special secrets with the Renanthera Geoff? Had a mature plant for a couple of years that doesn't want to bloom for me.
    Is it species or hybrid? Some Renanthera would need to grow up to certain height before it could flower. Rntda. relatively easy to flower provided it receives enough light and fertilizer. While cooler growing Renanthera species and Renanthopsis are rather difficult to flower for me. Renanthopsis may need high humidity like Phalaenopsis but higher light level than Phalaenopsis. Maybe Geoff has better advice due to his experience.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

My plants grow about 5 pairs of leaves a year and seem to produce a new flower spike wvery 2 or 3. The size of the leaves is quite variable : when growing well they all reach a certain maximum size. Growing poorly ( don’t flower) then smaller - so all this is an obvious check on whether you are doing it right or not, and whether any chnage is an improvement.
    I hang them up in the roof - best light, and warmest spot...spray as often as I can in the summer, to wet the few but long aerial roots, take down and dunk in a bucket every few weeks all the year.
    But like the strap leaved large flowered vandas, if they stop growing completely for any reason ( for me that is usually either too hot and dry because of neglect whilst my mind is on other things , or too cold and dry in a sunless winter ) then they are very difficult to get them started again. Patience......
    But when growing well it takes about 3 or 4 months for the spike to develop to its full extent, wirh some or a lot of flowers for at least 3 months. And by the time the flowers start to fall, it is only a few weeks until the next spike can be spotted.
    And by rhe way I do really regret that I cannot grow them well enough to get them to produce keikis, ususally from near the base of the plant, to produce a multi lead plant with several spikes... I have seen them like that at shows in the Far East, but they must ( I tell myself) be grown in a more favourable climate than I can provide.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

It's a Kalsom Renanthera. Interestingly, it's leaves were long at first. As I look at photos online the leaves are very short. Now mine honestly has a combination of long and short It hangs in filtered sunlight with my vandas. Tried putting it in more sunlight but the leaves starting burning a tad so brought it back in the filtered light.

My plants grow about 5 pairs of leaves a year and seem to produce a new flower wspike wvery 2 or 3. The size of the leaves is quite variable : when growing well they all reach a certain maximum size. Growing poorly ( don’t flower) then smaller - so all this is an obvious check on whether you are doing it right or not, and whether any chnage is an improvement.
    I hang them up in the roof - best light, and warmest spot...spray as often as I can in the summer, to wet the few but long aerial roots, take down and dunk in a bucket every few weeks all the year.
    But like the strap leaved large flowered vandas, if they stop growing completely for any reason ( for me that is usually either too hot and dry because of neglect whilst my mind is on other things , or too cold and dry in a sunless winter ) then they are very difficult to get them started again. Patience......
    But when growing well it takes about 3 or 4 months for the spike to develop to its full extent, wirh some or a lot of flowers for at least 3 months. And by the time the flowers start to fall, it is only a few weeks until the next spike can be spotted.
    And by rhe way I do really regret that I cannot grow them well enough to get them to produce keikis, ususally from near the base of the plant, to produce a multi lead plant with several spikes... I have seen them like that at shows in the Far East, but they must ( I tell myself) be grown in a more favourable climate than I can provide.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Renanthera Kalsom needs to be quite tall before it flowers.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Ahh, patience patience! Thank you Azizan.

Quote Originally Posted by Azizan View Post
    Renanthera Kalsom needs to be quite tall before it flowers.