Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New growing house.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Ascda, Vanda, Paphs.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Near enough

Aircon installed, power via extension cable from shed, water available, floor not finished, ground too hard to rake or dig. Vent at gable in end wall enlarged.
    Plants now taking their place, there are more than in pics as these are a day or 3 old.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I have an aunt in Australia. The heat there is supposed to quite fearsome.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

It is great fun, designing and maybe building ( or having built) a new orchid house. In my orchid growing life, 58 years now , I have lived in about 8 different houses where the greenhouses, and often the dwellings too got progressively larger from the time I was near qualification in my profession until I retired, and now getting smaller again - As I near 90 I just don't have the same energy levels as I did in the past. I reckon that in those 8 houses , in 6 different counties always moving south in England ( another move south will take me into the sea ha-ha ! ) I have had maybe 14 greenhouses. Three of them pit houses. One of them glazed with triple wall 25mm thick polycarbonate. Two of them with 1/4inch "georgian" wired plate glass - which came in long lengths so that there were single pieces stretching from eaves to ridge, and floor to eaves,instead of the old UK system of 2 ft pieces overlapped .
    We need heat here in Uk, and most have used panel radiators, with a gas or oil fired boiler, similar to what was the normal central heating system in uk - before underfloor heating with hot water was invented - and I have used that too, in one house. Size has gone from the 6 ft x 8ft where I started, via a 20 ft wide and 30 ft long one ( that was a pit house, with the floor 5 feet below ground, and glazed with the 25mm polycarb) to my present 35 ft x 15 ft .
    So now I am on the way down. I can't make the greenhouse any smaller - it just would not be possible ; so I am thinning it out. I aim to take up to a dozen plants to every orchid society meeting I attend, for sale or just as raffle prizes, and all those dubious plants which are not doing very well, but I am keeping them because I want that variety - why they go straight on the compost heap.
    I wonder how long it will take to have a noticeable effect ? Too long, but I haven't had any better ideas so far !

Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Geoff, our growing time in Orchids is not all that far apart even though our ages are a distance apart, learning from the grass roots up & learning to combat the climate is something everyone should do. Money can provide the where withal to grow or do anything, it makes life easier ?? but is that enjoying a hobby & do you really learn anything ??
    I've gone from hobbyist to commercial to hobbyist & in most enjoyed it & because of that basic start feel more than qualified to offer advice for newbys.. They have to work on their temps. I have gone way beyond what I wanted to do now I've been retired for some time but once I stop doing what I love, someone will be filling in the hole. Daughter knows what & how to dispose of the plants & get the most out of it, I won't care, know nothing about it..
    I also want to try & protect growers from the scammers, very hard, all I can say is Deal with the local & admired/recommended growers of many years. DON'T touch the BS & how great thou art dealers..

---------- Post Merged at 10:11 AM ----------

Chris, I've endured temps as low as -7c to extremes of +50c in the shade. Sometimes for many mornings or days on end.
    I can't afford to provide the ultimate in the way of heating, all I can do is try & stop the affects of a -7c frost, cooling is the evap' cooler which helps but when the temp is 45c+, the air is so hot & dry, the cooler doesn't work much. Recycle A/C is useless for the same reason (I use these for heating, no gas other than bottled which is very expensive).
    Humidity is key to orchid survival, out side the RH has been 6% on hot days that makes think difficult.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Geoff, our growing time in Orchids is not all that far apart even though our ages are a distance apart, learning from the grass roots up & learning to combat the climate is something everyone should do. Money can provide the where withal to grow or do anything, it makes life easier ?? but is that enjoying a hobby & do you really learn anything ??
    I've gone from hobbyist to commercial to hobbyist & in most enjoyed it & because of that basic start feel more than qualified to offer advice for newbys.. They have to work on their temps. I have gone way beyond what I wanted to do now I've been retired for some time but once I stop doing what I love, someone will be filling in the hole. Daughter knows what & how to dispose of the plants & get the most out of it, I won't care, know nothing about it..
    I also want to try & protect growers from the scammers, very hard, all I can say is Deal with the local & admired/recommended growers of many years. DON'T touch the BS & how great thou art dealers..

---------- Post Merged at 10:11 AM ----------

Chris, I've endured temps as low as -7c to extremes of +50c in the shade. Sometimes for many mornings or days on end.
    I can't afford to provide the ultimate in the way of heating, all I can do is try & stop the affects of a -7c frost, cooling is the evap' cooler which helps but when the temp is 45c+, the air is so hot & dry, the cooler doesn't work much. Recycle A/C is useless for the same reason (I use these for heating, no gas other than bottled which is very expensive).
    Humidity is key to orchid survival, out side the RH has been 6% on hot days that makes think difficult.
    Such a difference in our climates. When the summer heat is on here the humidity goes through the roof. Last week we were down in the -30 range. The greenhouse door was so badly iced up I broke it trying to get in to water. I have a sheet of plastic in the kitchen now to staple over it when the next cold spell comes. Going to build a meter deep box to cover the entrance for next year that I can easily take down and store each spring.

Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I suppose if your born to it, its a normal thing for Ice & Snow & cold. Nup, not for me, I'd be shifting, no matter what.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I suppose if your born to it, its a normal thing for Ice & Snow & cold. Nup, not for me, I'd be shifting, no matter what.
    Lol, we're in the process of buying a small piece of land in the Philippines now.

Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Hawaii would be closer & possibly less dangerous.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    species
    Member's Country Flag

Roy, this is similar construction to what I have here in Adelaide, I have found that if you line the inside with bubble wrap, not only does it help retain heat in winter, there is also no need for a shade cloth covering. I have not put the shadecloth on this year and even with the 47.7 c day we had here a few weeks ago, there has not been any burning of foliage. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Bubble wrap is ok if it's the UV treated type, if not, in a few short years it will start to fall like confetti. It's more expensive but I will be lining it with Polytunnel plastic. Way better & lasts years longer.
    Shade, yes, the builder & I noticed that this OPAL type of Laserlite dispersed the sunlight so well, shadecloth may not be needed, so far so good..