Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Robb
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas!

Default Humidity

So I finally got a good humidifier (ultrasonic cool mist) and it has me wondering: How do you change the humidity where you grow? Do you even mess about with it at all, in your conditions? I’d be interested to hear your responses. I grow indoors in a fairly small room with decent natural light supplemented with a couple of light rigs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I don't need to worry about it since moving to the greenhouse, BUT, when I grew in the window I had trays and saucers of water on the shelves and a humidistat to monitor things and did notice a 10 point or more rise. Grouping plants also helped as well.
    Physics tells us that if there is no air movement, evaporating water molecules will "sink" so putting the trays on a high shelf should be beneficial ( theory only).
    Let us know if you notice an improvement with the mister, lots of growers swear by them I've read.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

I live in Florida with plenty of natural humidity and grow outdoors. I can't add anything constructive. Sounds like you're set up pretty good now!

Real Name
    Robb
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas!

So far not much difference on medium mist but I’ll leave it on that setting overnight. If no different by morning I’ll try it on the strongest setting.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

If the room is open to the rest of the house, you're humidifying the entire house. Nature hates a gradient so the water molecules will rapidly spread out to fill the available volume. You may have to provide a barrier (close the door) to slow that leakage.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    If the room is open to the rest of the house, you're humidifying the entire house. Nature hates a gradient so the water molecules will rapidly spread out to fill the available volume. You may have to provide a barrier (close the door) to slow that leakage.
    or your curtains will rot, you'll have mold behind anything (furniture, paintings) against the walls or inside closets. Even algae growing on windows. Then you'll have to spend a whole pile of money on renovations

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Sounds like advice from past experience Chris
    While we are talking algae...I'm growing in a new greenhouse, does it make any sense to spray everything now with a coating of Physan 20 as a preventative?
    My gut tells me this would be a waste but perhaps someone has experimented with the idea.

Real Name
    Robb
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas!

Yeah I know Ray. It’s half blocked right now and it probably won’t help much in summer because it gets so hot if I close it off completely. I will see what I can accomplish tweaking other variables as well. The plants were all doing ok at 50% but the roots were not nearly so happy as in summer when it was running 60-65 on average. There was also a little leaf desiccation on my smaller plants initially. I’m using a space heater in there now to keep everyone happy. I can close it off completely until the hot weather sets in.

Chris, I’m not shooting for more than 60-65. Hope that won’t cause me to get any ick. Temps at 70/65 day/night.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Here in UK the natural humidity is about 60% for much of the time ( in my garden) and hence tends to besimilar in the greenhouse. But that is too low. 70% is better. So, in a <50 sq metres greenhouse I have two humidifiers, both on separate humidistats, and set to thatl level. In the summer I have to top up their supply tanks - they need RO water- every couple of days , but now, in mid winter, they come on only occasionally.

It seems to me that too low humidity stresses the plants, but too high humidity gives too much encouragement to moulds , rots and fungi - especially if there is insufficient or even no air movement. But I have three 48 inch sweep fans running non-stop. Which seems to give me good results and avoid problems.

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Looking at my gauges it's 79% humidity in my greenhouse with no assistance and 60% outside at 5 PM (snow storm approaching any minute it's normally lower in the winter)
    In my house it's 38%.