Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchid Photography Book Seeks Submissions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer
    The big thing to do now is to get it listed in lots of places. I am hoping we get a ton of really great submissions.
    Would you mind if I emailed the link to the book site to the local societies in my area? It might be something that the members will like to try!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ptaszek
    Would you mind if I emailed the link to the book site to the local societies in my area? It might be something that the members will like to try!

Hi, please do! That is a great idea! Thanks for helping spread the word! I hope they will try it out!

Cheers!
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gin
    I submitted one , hope it does not gag the system .. Gin
    OH NO! SYSTEM CRASH! LOL!

Thank you so much!

Cheers!
    BD

ps: there have been several submissions today! Thanks to everyone!

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

I just submitted a picture of my Laelia anceps... it's the only one I could think of that didn't have glare or anything else like that... but it isn't really a very good clone of it... too open and looks like a star... but if there's a space you need to fill up

also, if I posted anything on this forum, that may be worth using, then let this be my agreement to allow you to use those pictures.

cheers,
    tim

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bench72
    I just submitted a picture of my Laelia anceps... it's the only one I could think of that didn't have glare or anything else like that... but it isn't really a very good clone of it... too open and looks like a star... but if there's a space you need to fill up

also, if I posted anything on this forum, that may be worth using, then let this be my agreement to allow you to use those pictures.

cheers,
    tim
    Thanks Tim! I appreciate your submission of the Laelia anceps photo! As far as using images from the forum:

1. The images uploaded to the RVO forum are very small in dpi (dots per inch), so they look good on the computer screen and load fast, but they usually are not large enough to print at high quality.

2. Because the book is going to be published and sold, I have to have a user agreement that is signed through the HSP site to include the image/poem/text etc. in the publication so I have proof of submission for the publisher.

I hope you will submit as many files as you would like considered! Thanks so much for everyone's participation so far! You all

Cheers!
    BD

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

aaaah ok, understand... well then, will start uploading... hmm... what sort of dpi do you need?

I think I only tend to use 72dpi's on my pics... you know crappy cam and can only hold 24 pics at a time... and only ten if i use any bigger dpi...

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

We really need the best resolution photos you can take and send. The higher the resolution, the better. 72 dpi is what is normally used for screen viewing on the web. Depending on the mega-pix of your camera, the dpi is important. My camera, for instance, takes photos on its regular setting at 144 dpi, but the photos are huge. They work for print photos fine because of the size (over 1.2 megs each). For print purposes, we were told the images need to be around 300 dpi, or very large in size. So, set the camera to its best setting and snap away.

Also feel free to submit photos at a lower resolution if they are fairly large files. It never hurts to try and who knows, maybe it will work!

Cheers!
    BD

BD - I can help with this if you want. I've already been published in a book and have to say I was paid very well for the use of one picture which is the standard. It wasn't an orchid pic either lol. Are you going to pay for any of the professional pics??? I may work out a deal with you if you at least give me photography credits back to one of my sites or my photography portfolio.

As for printable pics there are some guidelines I'll share: need to be 300 dpi or larger. These are usually huge files around 3000 x 2100 or bigger. You need to take the pics in the largest format your camera will hold and at the highest quality. Most point and shoot camera's aren't good enough for print but the ones with interchangeable lenses are the ones most photographers use.

You may also consider using 35 mm film cameras as a lot of photographers still use those and you can have the slides sent to you and printed although I know digital is probably easier for you to deal with but alot of professionals won't give up file and most scanners can take slides and then you can make it digital.

Sounds like a great book and idea. I'm just concerned with letting you freely print my prof. photos with no compensation. I'm going to go exclusive with one ad agency at the end of the year so I would have to do it sooner than later as once I sign the exclusivity contract I can't sell outside that agency and it is very expensive to buy them there.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

BD - can you explain this resolution stuff to a non -techie? I looked in the manual and my unedited pictures are 2304 x 1728 pixels. Is that close to 300 dpi? How do you translate?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maegg
    Are you going to pay for any of the professional pics???

I'm just concerned with letting you freely print my prof. photos with no compensation.

Maegg,

Thank you for your comments. There is no compensation for the photos submitted for
    this publication. You should submit your photos to a professional place if you feel you
    can get paid for them or want to be paid for them. This is for people who would like to
    get published or just simply want to participate in a fun project. If you would like to be
    included in this publication then feel free to check out the Hard Steam Photography
    website. There you can see the guidelines for submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by magee
    As for printable pics there are some guidelines I'll share: need to be
    300 dpi or larger. These are usually huge files around 3000 x 2100 or bigger. You need
    to take the pics in the largest format your camera will hold and at the highest quality.
    Most point and shoot camera's aren't good enough for print but the ones with
    interchangeable lenses are the ones most photographers use.
    Folks should not worry about DPI if they do not understand it. If you have a simple point
    and shoot camera, and want to participate, then please feel free to submit an image or
    images for consideration. If you don't try, you can only regret it. If you have a photo that
    you think is beautiful or interesting, submit it!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER TO
    PARTICIPATE. This should be fun. [Pros and amateurs alike.] I have seen some
    amateur photography that knocks the socks off of some staged pro shots. Everyone 18
    years old or older are welcome to submit images or poems/ prose for consideration.
    Obviously, not every image or story etc. will be selected. But what does it hurt to try?
    My vision for this book is "the way we see our orchids." People see them in many
    different ways. I hope to get a good cross section for the book.

As for the print guidelines, they can be found on the
    Submissions Guidelines
    page at the HSP website. I go into some detail about what size photo our
    publisher is asking us for when printing.

Quote Originally Posted by maegg
    You may also consider using 35 mm film cameras as a lot of
    photographers still use those and you can have the slides sent to you and printed although
    I know digital is probably easier for you to deal with but alot of professionals won't give
    up file and most scanners can take slides and then you can make it digital.
    I did not address slides on the website as I am not able to scan slides at a high enough
    resolution. Anyone who takes slides should have a print made from the negative and mail
    the print to the HSP or if they have access to a high resolution slide scanner, then please
    save a stamp & paper by sending your submission electronically. We have a high
    resolution scanner that will make beautiful digital images from your printed photos.
    Again, there is an explanation about submission of prints on the HSP website.

Participation in this project has been very good so far. I appreciate all the support!

Cheers!
    BD