Name:  One-flower.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  136.1 KBName:  plant.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  133.8 KB
I bought the plant, can't remember where or when, but at some point the culture was all wrong and the main cane kept growing for 2 or 3 years ; not sure if that was me, or not - in fact I think I bought it from a famous Paph nursery which went under, and a guy who knew everything about paphs , but looked at any other orchid and said "huh ?" had been growing it. Whatever. The flowers were obviously nice, but the plant was unwieldy and not useful in any kind of display, so I deliberately over-watered it and kept it warm all one winter, and yes, it responded with a batch of keikis. Some years later, this is one plant I grew from those keikis.
Now the canes are an appropriate size, unusual , for a hybrid dendrobioum in the dendrobium section of the genus ( the type section) in being so thick and fat - thicker than my ring finger ( and I have big hands) . Also unusual in that whilst it is, as usual, the canes from the year before last which are flowering, they have kept all their leaves.
I like it for the intense colour - good for this kind of hybrid. Also good sized flowers - not the largest, but well above average - 6 cm. in fact ( natural spread).
Next it has to be grown on to give better canes - the 2018 ones are some 2 or 3 inches better than the flowering (2017) ones, and if culture remains good, it should continue to put on that kind of increase, year-by-year until it reaches its max. And what will that be ? I don't know. D.nobile, which is more than 50% of the parentage, can do 60 cm, 2 feet, easily - but with canes much slenderer than this.
I guess this is a tetraploid.
Enjoy.