Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vandas too many yellow leaves *(

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Vandas too many yellow leaves *(

I have a problem with my Vandas. I grow in an under the house greenhouse, under lights, with heat, watering from overhead. It seems as though each year when we transition from winter to spring my Vandas loose leaves. As you can see some plants look like plam trees. It is the smaller Vandas,
    that suffer worst, and this year it seems worse, I am removing a dozen leaves aweek. I am wondering if when we open the walls as the weather is warmer?? or are the thrips coming in or too much temp change, virus? I would love any help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Where are you located on the globe?
    What is your current temperature range where the Vandas are living.

Quote Originally Posted by P Croft View Post
    I have a problem with my Vandas. I grow in an under the house greenhouse, under lights, with heat, watering from overhead. It seems as though each year when we transition from winter to spring my Vandas loose leaves. As you can see some plants look like palm trees. It is the smaller Vandas,
    that suffer worst, and this year it seems worse, I am removing a dozen leaves a week. I am wondering if when we open the walls as the weather is warmer?? or are the thrips coming in or too much temp change, virus? I would love any help!!
    I live on the Gulf Coast next on the Fla AL state line. I was reading on the site someone had asked about their vanda leaves yellowing and a senior called it the palm tree syndrome.
    We are in the mid-60s at night here so the heaters are off, vinal walls closed, not sure if that is still too cool for these guys. As I said earlier I only see this as we exit winter and I have turned the heaters off. Even with the mid-60s last night this am I had another 6 yellowed leaves.

I have always noticed the 10 - 11-year-old vandas do not show this problem, just the younger ones.

Real Name
    Lutz Haunert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

But, in fact they don't look so bad. Let me say they are looking good. Don't be afraid.
    I think they look pretty good and will grow and bloom well

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

50's should be fine at night, how much air movement is there at night and during the day for that matter?
    I'm at a loss but one of our expert Florida growers will chime in here soon.
    You say they are watered from above, are they on automatic timers, if so how often and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    50's should be fine at night, how much air movement is there at night and during the day for that matter?
    I'm at a loss but one of our expert Florida growers will chime in here soon.
    You say they are watered from above, are they on automatic timers, if so how often and when?
    they are watered from above on timers, first 2 min then a second round of 2 min. at 9 am, and as it warms up they get a second time at 1pm. There are over head fans on timers as well.But only in daytime.

They bloom but on many there are ony leaves at top, four sets of two leaves.

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

I had a lot of Vanda's that the same thing happened, I found that most of the time it was caused from the cold. I never worried about them if it got down to 50 at night, I did not bring them in on some nights that I should but being my age and the fact that if I bring them in I really should bring them all in and when you have over 400 orchids you sometimes take a chance, loosing a few leaves did not hurt them and if it bothers you I know a lot of people drape Spanish moss over the bare areas. I did get rid of mine to make room for more bulbos but I know where they are and see them in bloom often. I did have one that was close to 6 feet tall with roots and 75% of the plant had lost all the leaves, still continued to bloom. It should be ok like it is. I will ask does your area have air circulation during the warmth of the day, that could also be a problem with the leaf loss.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    I had a lot of Vanda's that the same thing happened, I found that most of the time it was caused from the cold. I never worried about them if it got down to 50 at night, I did not bring them in on some nights that I should but being my age and the fact that if I bring them in I really should bring them all in and when you have over 400 orchids you sometimes take a chance, loosing a few leaves did not hurt them and if it bothers you I know a lot of people drape Spanish moss over the bare areas. I did get rid of mine to make room for more bulbos but I know where they are and see them in bloom often. I did have one that was close to 6 feet tall with roots and 75% of the plant had lost all the leaves, still continued to bloom. It should be ok like it is. I will ask does your area have air circulation during the warmth of the day, that could also be a problem with the leaf loss.
    Thank you so much! This has bothered me for a couple of years. I am only up to ,aybe 30 vandas but quite a few ate 4-5 ft and lard to bring in and not damage the main trunk. I am a bit handycap so hubby helps, but when I want to keep them warmer or bring them in he is not always in agreement. Being that I only have this happen when transitisoning from Winter to Spring this year I was thinking it was the cold. Turning off the heat too soon. And yes in warm months I run the fans, but have not seen the yellow then.

Again thank you very much, I feel I have an answer and can make a few changes to help, Patsy

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

At one time I had about 200 of these in a greenhouse in England,heated to a minimum somewhere below 60 iall the year. It would not be far above that even in summer at night. Leaf drop was not a problem, and believe me when it did occur I hated the sight of bare legs.
    I do have a rhrips problem, or maybe more than one,now. There are almost as many thrips species as orchid species ( 19000 compared to 25000) so it seems probable to me that the different feeding habits I see amount to the different behaviour of different thrips species : flowers damaged especially around the edges of the petals of cattleyas, bud blast on cymbidiums so that flowers never open, bulls eye punctures on new cymbidium leaves...
    I started again with Vandas, buying what I thought were miniature types after scrapping them all after verysevere over-heating, and they are now getting up to flowering size , and some of the unknown hybrids among them turn out to be large flowered ones after all - but- and here is the point, growingin the same greenhouse as the cattleyas etc which are suffering thrips damage, the vandas are free of damage. And in fact on overa hundred plants none suffer from leaf drop at all.
    I think it isyour cultural system generally, and onlywish I could suggest a cure, but I cannot.

Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I'm in the Lower Keys not far from Key West. I have a few dozen species and hybrid vandas outside in a shadehouse.
    They get overhead misted 2x/day for 10 minutes, fed weekly, etc.
    They all kick off a few leaves every now and then. I doubt it is temp as they seem to do it randomly throughout the year and the lowest we have had here over the past few years is mid 50's and that usually doesn't last for more than an hour.
    I've resigned myself to believe it's just something they do because they keep growing and blooming.