We all have 'em, we're all frustrated by them. Orchids that have either not prospered, or have declined under our care, and rescues that have a chance and are really worth saving. Forgive me, not that some are not worth trying to save, but some are really special.

Like Robiqueta cerina for example. I recently purchased this from an estate sale. And it has a leafless 8 in long stem with 3-4 viable leaves at the top, and a savable root (greens up with water) at the bottom. PLEASE HELP! I am thinking the old fashioned sphag 'n bag trick, but I hear a lot about seaweed/kelp formulas to grow roots. How do I save this baby?

Or how about Vandopsis lissochiloides? 3-4 pale leaves with a root, and a long root that was trying to attach to a cork mount hanging off its basket. This species plant must be saved! And as a vanda, it probably won't like sphag 'n bag.

It has been a long haul, but I made great progress with Staurochilus fasciatus in a plastic baggie, by just watering inside the baggie (high humidity), and pouring out the water when it turns tea colored, and changing the baggie a few when yucky. Almost a year later, and the leaves are starting to really thrive, and it is finally putting out new roots. This is a success, and I want this for the other guys, and everything in the future. BTW, there was never mold, rot, black spot, etc.

I keep struggling plants in shaded eastern exposure (lanai) regardless of their genus, until I see some growth, then the higher light folks get moved towards the sun. Right? Wrong?

Again, what's up with that kelp/seaweed thing? Does it smell? stain? attract anything? Regardless, DOES IT WORK???

Thank you!
Carolyn