Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Encouraging root growth on savable but pouting 'kids - let's talk!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Ang, Species Phal
    Member's Country Flag

Default Encouraging root growth on savable but pouting 'kids - let's talk!

We all have 'em, we're all frustrated by them. Orchids that have either not prospered, or have declined under our care, and rescues that have a chance and are really worth saving. Forgive me, not that some are not worth trying to save, but some are really special.

Like Robiqueta cerina for example. I recently purchased this from an estate sale. And it has a leafless 8 in long stem with 3-4 viable leaves at the top, and a savable root (greens up with water) at the bottom. PLEASE HELP! I am thinking the old fashioned sphag 'n bag trick, but I hear a lot about seaweed/kelp formulas to grow roots. How do I save this baby?

Or how about Vandopsis lissochiloides? 3-4 pale leaves with a root, and a long root that was trying to attach to a cork mount hanging off its basket. This species plant must be saved! And as a vanda, it probably won't like sphag 'n bag.

It has been a long haul, but I made great progress with Staurochilus fasciatus in a plastic baggie, by just watering inside the baggie (high humidity), and pouring out the water when it turns tea colored, and changing the baggie a few when yucky. Almost a year later, and the leaves are starting to really thrive, and it is finally putting out new roots. This is a success, and I want this for the other guys, and everything in the future. BTW, there was never mold, rot, black spot, etc.

I keep struggling plants in shaded eastern exposure (lanai) regardless of their genus, until I see some growth, then the higher light folks get moved towards the sun. Right? Wrong?

Again, what's up with that kelp/seaweed thing? Does it smell? stain? attract anything? Regardless, DOES IT WORK???

Thank you!
    Carolyn

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Be patient is probably the best advice. Kelp does not smell but many folk swear it works.
    I have two vandaceous plants that have just stalled (for like over a year) been treating with Kelp Max occasionally and am seeing a tiny root tip forming on one of them. They are just hanging in my greenhouse and get watered every couple of days otherwise. I drape them with Spanish moss but otherwise no special treatment.
    I'm guessing your humid enough in SW Florida, can you set an automatic mister on the plants a couple times a day?

Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

A couple years ago I started a new thing where I treat every plant with "dipn grow" rooting hormone when they get re-potted.
    I also use Kelp Max monthly. Don't have it dialed in yet but I like what I'm seeing and I'm convinced it has brought quite a few plants back from the brink.
    Happy roots, happy plants!

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

I did over two years' research before discovering KelpMax. It is by far the most effective growth stimulant out there. Unlike other kelp products, it stimulates root growth first, which in turn stimulates plant growth. Brands based upon ascophyllum species stimulate plant growth first, which does subsequently stimulate root growth, but they can lead to the growth of weak, "leggy" plants.

For plants such as you describe, I recommend mixing one tablespoon/gallon and completely immersing the bare-root plant for a few hours, then potting it up, using that same solution to water it in, then inverting a clear plastic bag over the plant and pot (don't close it) to trap the humidity. With no roots, desiccation can kill before roots emerge, so that slows the water loss process.

KelpMax, undiluted, has a faint seaweed scent, and once diluted, is barely noticeable, and disappears quickly. There is no staining and it does not attract anything.

There are two online outlets (same seller, with the same price). One charges you for shipping, the other does not.

Real Name
    Carolyn
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Ang, Species Phal
    Member's Country Flag

The natural humidity is generally pretty high except for winter, when it is usually much drier. I grow everything on my lanai, and around the pool cage, to keep them away from anything outside that might want to take a bite. I can't set up an automatic mister - my well water has too high a TDS and pH - I use RO water, and use a hand pump sprayer. Once I understood how poor the well water is, some vandas have made great strides, and others are still pouting, but I think they're coming around - I have maybe 30 of them.

Last night I un-potted the Robiqueta, wet the roots, and dusted it with rooting powder. [fingers crossed]

I think I will try some SuperThrive too - I have some of that.

---------- Post Merged at 11:58 AM ----------

Thank you Ray! That's a lot of great info :-)

OK I think I need to try the KelpMax!

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

You are better off waiting until you get the KelpMax, and you DO NOT want to "gang up" with the rooting compounds.

Rooting powders tend to have VERY high concentrations of synthetic auxins, and can damage all but the the sturdiest of orchids. They are really intended for use on cuttings of woody plants.

Superthrive - if it is fresh - also contains synthetic auxins, so adding more increases the probability of deformity and stunting of growth. Don't forget, the weed killer 2,4-D is an auxin that excites plant growth to the point of death.

KelpMax has natural auxins, but is also loaded with polyamines that, together, stimulates root growth more than reasonable doses of auxins can alone, and without the risk of damage or deformity.

Real Name
    Carolyn
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Ang, Species Phal
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    You are better off waiting until you get the KelpMax, and you DO NOT want to "gang up" with the rooting compounds.

Rooting powders tend to have VERY high concentrations of synthetic auxins, and can damage all but the the sturdiest of orchids. They are really intended for use on cuttings of woody plants.

Superthrive - if it is fresh - also contains synthetic auxins, so adding more increases the probability of deformity and stunting of growth. Don't forget, the weed killer 2,4-D is an auxin that excites plant growth to the point of death.

KelpMax has natural auxins, but is also loaded with polyamines that, together, stimulates root growth more than reasonable doses of auxins can alone, and without the risk of damage or deformity.
    Interesting. Thanks again!

Real Name
    Robb
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas!

Going to chime in for KelpMax here. I’ve seen new root growth at ten to fourteen days out, every time I have used it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 AM ----------

Going to chime in for KelpMax here. I’ve seen new root growth at ten to fourteen days out, every time I have used it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Carolyn
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Ang, Species Phal
    Member's Country Flag

I received my order a few days ago, and am about to put it to work!

Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 AM ----------

Posted via Mobile Device