Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phrag watering question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Can you post a photo? That would really help.

I personally don't like sphag (or clay pots!) for anything. I find besseae and their hyrbids like it best in a smaller fir bark mix with charcoal, perlite and a tiny bit of chopped sphagnum. I only grow in clear pots so I can easily see what is going on in there.

I also have a similar climate, just fyi.

I agree w/ Julie - you are over-analyzing - not a bad thing, I do it constantly! (pm me, or I think you have my email, also, if you wish...) we can help you figure all this out, don't worry!!

~Heather

Heather,
    I will invite you and Julie up for a fix Kirstie's plant problems party LOL! Neat you aren't too far away.
    Until then, guess I'll get off my too hot too fast lazy rear end and take pictures...

OK here are some pics
    This is where I am growing them all now

And this is my Phrag China Dragon. It's doing fine for now and has 2 new growths down in the mix heading up around the V shape - on each side. I couldn't get a good picture of them in this lighting.

okay!
    Girl, you're doing fine - it looks great - why mess with it? And change your sig line, missy - you are NOT killing them!!

That 2" tall thing coming up from the center of the large growth is the spike, you're good!

The plant looks fine, it looks like some sort of bark mix it is in, that should be fine.

I can imagine the two new starts and I'm sure they are fine. Don't be too surprised if one takes off and the other does not. That happens sometimes. It is okay.

I think you're doing just fine, but I would not water every day... If anything, when the time comes (after it blooms maybe) repot it into a clear pot -then you can watch the roots and see how wet the pot is. That is my main issue w/ clay pots (and plastic pots that are green or black or any other non-transparent color!!)

I can not take the credit for it looking so darn gorgeous! I just brought it home....
    So that newest growth will show me a flower sometime? I always thought spike meant the stem flowers would grow off of. Is "spike" just new growth? All it looks like to me is another taller leaf.
    The seller told me to water it every day. And really, my medium is dry every day.
    It's still very loose in the medium. I repotted because there was mold all in the mix. He had just repotted and all the rainy weather and travel he put it thru... it molded. I fault NO ONE for mold now since I am self-proclaimed Queen of Mold....
    Heather, if you know of a place I can get some clear pots locally, I would LOVE a PM, because I want to get into S/H potting maybe. And I think I may just like the price of clear pots better :c)

This is the spike. It should bloom for you. China Dragon is nice!

I cannot believe that in New Hampshire your bark based mix is dry every day. Maybe the very tip top, but mine stays wet about a week, at least damp! Every day will rot your roots, my dear.

That said, if you just repotted into that mix, watering maybe 2x a week will be a good idea as the mix is not accustomed to water, and takes some time to acclimate to absorbing water correctly. It will regulate over time, but keeping an eye on it is imperative at this stage. Try sticking a bamboo skewer in the mix and leaving it there. When you think it is time to water, pull the skewer out and see if it is wet. If so, you can wait a day or two to water.
    Email me at heather@mcdonald.net and I'll send you some square aircone pots. I have extras, and I am happy to share them. Are you coming to the July NHOS meeting? If so, I can just bring some with me if you let me know sizes. S/H pots are 50 cents to 1 dollar each - but that's a whole other topic!

Did you get my PM at the other place btw?? (oh, you know it is me, Heather, from NHOS w/ the mexipedium, right?? Yeah, I get around lately...)

Honestly, if you want to ever just come down and visit for an afternoon and ask questions and learn plant parts I would be MORE than happy to have you (or anyone!) visit.

Hi Heather!
    And I'm not sure I got the PM. Let me go look. *ditz I am*
    If anyone knows how to care for Paphs.... I've often thought of PMing you for help with my new additions!
    I don't know what's up with my watering, potting mix.... problems. But I'm doing much better.
    I'm off to look for the PM and I will be bugging you now you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikva
    Hi Heather!
    And I'm not sure I got the PM. Let me go look. *ditz I am*
    If anyone knows how to care for Paphs.... I've often thought of PMing you for help with my new additions!
    I don't know what's up with my watering, potting mix.... problems. But I'm doing much better.
    I'm off to look for the PM and I will be bugging you now you know.
    Not bugging at all, feel free to ask away!
    Hmm, strange - I don't see the PM that I sent elsewhere, and I cannot PM from here. But you have my email and you are welcome to use it if you wish.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

Annie,

Are those aircone pot translucent? Could you PM me where you get them?

Thanks
    Qing