Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Greenhouse Cooling Recommendations?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Do I have to choose?
    Member's Country Flag

Default Greenhouse Cooling Recommendations?

I'm in the process of putting up my 8'x17'Sunglo Greenhouse, it was supposed to go up last fall but we were not able to start before the ground froze here in Idaho. Anyhow, I'm looking for inexpensive ideas for greenhouse cooling as our summers are quiet hot here, usually around 100 degrees consistently. This will be in addition to the Aluminet Shade Cloth I will be using and also the fans and exhaust system. It was recommended by a local greenhouse installer who is familiar with Sunglo Greenhouses that I purchase a 3000 cfm evaporative cooler from a big box store, which I'm sure is overkill for my small greenhouse, but there doesn't seem to be much else available. I did find the following online but it doesn't give much info, I called the company and they said I would need to contact the manufacturer for more info but with no reviews to read on it and the lack of info provided upfront I am a bit skeptical.
    Name:  cooler.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  50.9 KB

So far we have the trenched and ran electrical and water to the foundation site and we are in the processes of excavating the foundation and installing a french drainage system. I hope to have this up and running by the end of the month but working M-F full time leaves most of the work to be done on the weekends so that time frame might be unrealistic. I'm super excited to finally have this underway!

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya

Hi Becca,
    Some years ago, I lived in the Central Valley in CA where we had summer temps around 100, no rain and very low humidity. I had a small greenhouse, about 8x10, and used a swamp cooler in combination with a fan. It did a nice job of moderating the temps and provided much needed humidity. Most importantly, the orchids seemed to be happy. I don’t remember the size of the unit , but the lower your humidity, the more effective this type of cooling will be. Sorry not to remember more specifics. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Becca, I know nothing about that particular brand and model, but 3000 cfm is not out of the realm of possibility for a greenhouse of about 800 cubic feet volume.

One thing you should consider is that, when using a swamp cooler that has its own fans, you don't necessarily want to run an exhaust fan at the same time. The cooler will push cooled air in, with the internal, warm air being "pushed" out through a vent at the opposite end of the structure. Conversely, if you do have an exhaust fan, you can use it to draw the cooled air through an unpowered cooling pad.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Do I have to choose?
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Ray, I had a feeling I might get a response from you! Thank you for the information!

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

You might also look into small, residential swamp coolers. Many have multi-speed blowers to give you more flexibility.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Do I have to choose?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyTwo View Post
    Hi Becca,
    Some years ago, I lived in the Central Valley in CA where we had summer temps around 100, no rain and very low humidity. I had a small greenhouse, about 8x10, and used a swamp cooler in combination with a fan. It did a nice job of moderating the temps and provided much needed humidity. Most importantly, the orchids seemed to be happy. I don’t remember the size of the unit , but the lower your humidity, the more effective this type of cooling will be. Sorry not to remember more specifics. Hope this helps.
    Thank you!!!