Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what's normal for phals, anyway?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

Question So, what's normal for phals, anyway?

I have been studying my small tribe of phals this morning, during my usual breakfast with the orchids. I have about a dozen plants, all repotted within the last 6 months. Some are blooming veterans, some are too small for their first spike. A few have struggled, but most are reasonably well adapted to living with me.

But their signs of growth are all over the chart. One is putting up a new leaf, but no new (visible) roots; one has been going to town with new aerial roots, and is throwing a fat new spike--but has yet to grow a new leaf in its time (6 months) with me; another is putting out secondary spike branches on its old spike, and has a leaf coming on--but no new roots; still another looks perfectly healthy, but is just sitting there with no signs of growth at all, while a small new shilleriana started a spike two weeks after arriving and being repotted. Is there a "normal" phal growth pattern? Are the types of growth indicative of the general health and well being of the plant? As much as I love their blooms, I feel more reassured that they are doing well when I see new roots and leaves--especially this time of the year.

Comments?

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Phal hybrids crossed with doritis (summer bloomer) have a different cycle than pure phals. Hybrids do strange things. As long as your orchids have nice, turgid leaves and exhibit some kind of growth (leaf, root, etc.), I really wouldn't worry...they have their own internal clocks.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Give that man in the sarong a cigar! Clint is right. I have some that look like they are plastic for months, then all of a sudden - Whoosh, leaves, roots, spikes! If they look stagnant for too long, check the roots, then consider more light.

Mine do weird & wonderful things @ times.
    Because of my growing conditions i don,t have a particular time of year when they spike/leaf/growroots , basically i just let them do their own thing.
    If a plant has been in bloom for a protracted period( 6+ months for some of mine) & has not grown new leaves or roots I will cut the spike.

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Clint, Diane and uncasteeb--that's kind of what I was thinking too, but I'm still trying to figure out what normal is!

I was wrong about my crazy root plant with the fat new spike; it's increasingly obvious that it is growing a basal keiki--I had never seen one before! Why it didn't just add to its current leaves I don't know and it's not telling.

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Default >:)

That's one of the mysteries of these plants..they do what they want when they want and there's no forcing them to grow, bloom, etc. You just have to be a captive audience and watch for cultural issues.

Good luck!

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Brassia BABY!!

I have one phal that has been blooming continuously on the same spike since last November. As much as I love having a continuously blooming plant, do you think it's time to cut the spike? Right now it has four new buds, and it just dropped the last its blooms about a week ago.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Some people let them go on till they stop by themselves, but I like to encourage full growth and perhaps multi spikes or branching on my plants next bloom - so I cut the spike after a few months of flowering. That way I get really nice spikes, and since I have quite a few phals, something is always looking good...

If you have a star type Phal, you are not supposed to cut off the bloom spike because it will continue to bloom from that spike and form new ones too.

Gregg C.

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Are phals temperamental? going from vendor to home (change of growing conditions). 3 buds dropped off the spike of 3 blooms, 5 buds. Once it settles down, will it continue the spike and form more buds? Our first phal. Any advice?
    Tami