Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibiscus Help

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Question Hibiscus Help

Does anyone have experience with hibiscus? Last year I was given 4 hibiscus: one white, two red (all in the same pot). I put two of the red ones in a different pot and gave them to a friend. I kept the white one and one red one, and they've been together in one pot since then.

The plants seemed to be doing great, and they'd been continuously putting out buds, until about 2 weeks ago. The white one is fine and even has 2 buds that will open soon, but the red one...In the last couple weeks more than half of its leaves turned yellow and fell off. Only about the top third of it looks normal.

The plant is by a East facing window (slight southern exposure too). I water it when it seems dry, about twice a week. Those conditions have remained constant. Am I doing something wrong?

The really weird thing is that today I talked to the friend to whom I gave the other two red ones. She's having the same problem. Is it some kind of dormant period? It just seems like a lot of leaves to lose at once. And what about the white one? Will it eventually do the same thing?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Do you have any bugs? Hibiscus are really prone to aphids and white fly. Both would cause leaf drop.
    Cin

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

ang, I love hibiscus! Have several varieties; most from south FL and grown outside in NW FL over the past 10 years or so.
    Disclaimer: I am a complete amatuer with hibiscus I have had the same experience of yellow leaf drop with one or two of mine on occasion. Seems like it happens when the humidity is low for period of time as it has been here lately. Keeping humidity up for indoor plants is even harder. Extra water (often, and with adequate drainage)and heavy misting did the trick for mine, but look close under the leaves and at the leaf/branch joint (sorry - don't know technical terms!) for scale, mites, or any icky stuff. Consult an plant doc for the latter! Good luck!
    Tami

Ang - how are you watering?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I have one that seems to do the same thing periodically. Usually it is a change in weather conditions - too dry. Also very prone to aphids, but they are easily controlled with sprays.

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I checked the leaves and stems very carefully, and, thankfully, I see no signs of insects.

Lack of humidity--yeah, I think I need to remedy that situation.

As far as how I water, when the soil is dry on the top, I add water from a jug until it 'seems to be enough'. That seemed to work before, but maybe now that it's warmer it's not enough? Should I keep pouring until water comes out the bottom? Should I stick it in the shower?

Ang, i would try using the shower head on your hose nozzle to hit it a little more thoroughly - a few drops coming from the bottom should be right about the ticket - which climate zone are you in, btw?

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Colin--I am in NY, in the city, in an apartment. Probably not where most plants would prefer to be living, but I sure do like having them around!

give it good light, and water it in the evening, and you should be fine.

i grew mine outdoors in full sun, watering to drippage around sundown (atleast in the warmer months) - produced beautiful blooms all summer long. hopefully you'll experience the same. there are few things as majestic as a hibiscus COVERED in open blooms. good luck!!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I grow mine in full sun in containers on my patio, they are watered by the drip system in the early am every other day. Once a month they get a soaking in a bucket with dilute fertilizer....