Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Vanda out of wooden basket

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Taking Vanda out of wooden basket

My Vanda is just not happy - even with the frequent mistings I give it. I soake it every few days and mist it lots during the day. But lots of the roots are cracking and some are shriveling and I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before the big fat roots rebel.
    I'm thinking of taking it out and potting it, but it's been growing in this basket for years maybe. I am SO fearful of unattatching the roots and getting them out of the spots they have grown!
    I tried putting it in a big pot on a smaller clay pot to up the humidity but that's not working.
    Any suggestions?
    And IF I have to unbasket it and pot it, HOW do I do that with the least damage. And what should I pot it into?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tikva
    My Vanda is just not happy - even with the frequent mistings I give it. I soake it every few days and mist it lots during the day. But lots of the roots are cracking and some are shriveling and I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before the big fat roots rebel.
    I'm thinking of taking it out and potting it, but it's been growing in this basket for years maybe. I am SO fearful of unattatching the roots and getting them out of the spots they have grown!
    I tried putting it in a big pot on a smaller clay pot to up the humidity but that's not working.
    Any suggestions?
    And IF I have to unbasket it and pot it, HOW do I do that with the least damage. And what should I pot it into?

I should preface this with "I have never tried to grow a vanda inside my home", so this might not be the best solution.

First: I would not try to remove it from the basket. Usually we just sit the first basket inside another larger one and wire them together.

Second: What I would suggest for you is to take some spag and put it in the basket to help hold a bit more moisture to the roots. Don't pack it in, just some in the basket to hold moisture.

BTW, Does the plant show any signs of needing more water? If not, perhaps some of the root shrinkage you are asking about are just part of the cycle of life. The thicker roots are up higher on the plant and the thinner ones are down on the beginning of the plant and may not be being used as much anymore for actual support.

We grow our vandas in the GH in baskets and have had much success with lava rock and wood. The smaller ones get a bit of Spanish moss or spag to help hold moisture between waterings, and because the Spanish moss looks really cool hanging off of the baskets as it grows and blooms.

So to recap: do not remove from original basket & add a bit of spag to the basket to help hold a bit more moisture. JMHO

Cheers!
    BD

Here is a picture. Struggling with a new camera today because I stupidly WASHED my camera last night!!!!

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

I heard you should water your vanda daily, misting is not enough. Put it in the shower for 15 minutes until the roots are green.

Qing

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

It looks good ! .
    All of them will have old dried up at the bottom of the plant sooner or later .. Don't fix what ain't broke .It looks fine the way it is . Gin

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I agree! Leave it alone, it looks very healthy!

Cheers!
    BD

OKkkkkkk
    I just think the roots are worse looking..... want to catch problems before they happen....
    Oops, I think it's been soaking too long now :c)

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

I go along with everyone ,and I wouldn't be concerned about the soaking it for toooooooooooooo long

I would recommend not watering your camera daily. A light misting every now and then is more than sufficient.

Julie

*sigh*
    I got the same camera I washed last night today for my slightly early birthday present... how boring.....
    I think it does better with no watering at all. It seems to thrive on completely dry care.