Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums


The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!


  •  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"


Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.


YES! I want to register an account for free right now!


Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cycnodes Repot - What to do

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida
    Posts
    4,500
    Member's Country Flag

    Default Cycnodes Repot - What to do

    Can you tell me the best way to repot this? With the 4 new growths do I just center this old bulb and let it be as it may? And keep that other older bulb attached? Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  111.9 KB

  2. #2
    Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melaka, West Malaysia
    Posts
    14,451
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Just keep it as what it is to me almost perfect but would be very happy if you can remove the metal rod. Good luck Sheryl.

  3. #3
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida
    Posts
    4,500
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zainal abidin View Post
    Just keep it as what it is to me almost perfect but would be very happy if you can remove the metal rod. Good luck Sheryl.
    Thank you Zain. My worry is the weight of the bulbs. They're heavy and that is why I have the metal clamp under the bulbs to make the plant stay more secure and not topple over. When these new bulbs grow I guess I can figure something out to keep the pot balanced in weight. Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Just Outside Key West, FL, USA
    Posts
    486
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Sheryl,

    I will offer how I do it. Works great for me but others I know have different approaches.

    I'd let the new growth roots get to at least 1" before I re-pot.
    Carefully strip out all the old media and discard any backbulbs that are not green and solid.
    For media I use a paph/phrag mix of fine bark, charcoal, sponge rock, sphagnum and then add more sphagnum. These things LOVE water while in growth mode. The size of the pseudobulbs is a dead giveaway.
    Put media into pot in layers that are each divided by a sprinkling of good time release fert. I tend to plant my bulbs a little deep which might help with the "tippyness" but if you go shallower, you could always throw on a rhizome clip to help hold it up.
    Once it's re-potted you can start regular watering.

  5. #5
    Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cooper City, Florida
    Posts
    6,963
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I always unpot and remove media and the roots in the late fall then put them on my back porch till new growth with at least 2 inches of new roots before I pot them up. If the older bulb is stable I will leave it and pot them up only using sphagnum moss also layering with time release fertilizer. The sphag is enough if packed tight to keep those older heaver bulbs from causing shifting, Good luck Sheryl!

  6. #6
    Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Just Outside Key West, FL, USA
    Posts
    486
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Or you can do it Jack's way.
    No, I'm serious. I know people who do the clean-up as soon as they go dormant and folks that do it when I do.
    I also know someone who unpots and cleans them up at dormancy and then chucks the bulbs into a cardboard box in his basement until spring. Guess what? He has nice plants too!
    I will tell you my choice was based on paranoia that my clumsy fingers would damage the eye where the new growth would later emerge.
    I'd much rather have a visual on what I need to avoid.

  7. #7
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida
    Posts
    4,500
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Thanks so much Leigh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keysguy View Post
    Sheryl,

    I will offer how I do it. Works great for me but others I know have different approaches.

    I'd let the new growth roots get to at least 1" before I re-pot.
    Carefully strip out all the old media and discard any backbulbs that are not green and solid.
    For media I use a paph/phrag mix of fine bark, charcoal, sponge rock, sphagnum and then add more sphagnum. These things LOVE water while in growth mode. The size of the pseudobulbs is a dead giveaway.
    Put media into pot in layers that are each divided by a sprinkling of good time release fert. I tend to plant my bulbs a little deep which might help with the "tippyness" but if you go shallower, you could always throw on a rhizome clip to help hold it up.
    Once it's re-potted you can start regular watering.
    ---------- Post Merged at 10:37 PM ----------

    Thank you Jack!

    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    I always unpot and remove media and the roots in the late fall then put them on my back porch till new growth with at least 2 inches of new roots before I pot them up. If the older bulb is stable I will leave it and pot them up only using sphagnum moss also layering with time release fertilizer. The sphag is enough if packed tight to keep those older heaver bulbs from causing shifting, Good luck Sheryl!

  8. #8
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Port Orange, Florida
    Posts
    4,500
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    I think I'm a little late trying Jacks way this year I'll wing it one I see a little more root growth. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keysguy View Post
    Or you can do it Jack's way.
    No, I'm serious. I know people who do the clean-up as soon as they go dormant and folks that do it when I do.
    I also know someone who unpots and cleans them up at dormancy and then chucks the bulbs into a cardboard box in his basement until spring. Guess what? He has nice plants too!
    I will tell you my choice was based on paranoia that my clumsy fingers would damage the eye where the new growth would later emerge.
    I'd much rather have a visual on what I need to avoid.

  9. #9
    Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cooper City, Florida
    Posts
    6,963
    Member's Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keysguy View Post
    Or you can do it Jack's way.
    No, I'm serious. I know people who do the clean-up as soon as they go dormant and folks that do it when I do.
    I also know someone who unpots and cleans them up at dormancy and then chucks the bulbs into a cardboard box in his basement until spring. Guess what? He has nice plants too!
    I will tell you my choice was based on paranoia that my clumsy fingers would damage the eye where the new growth would later emerge.
    I'd much rather have a visual on what I need to avoid.
    I have heard of putting them in a box in the closet or basement, if you have one, for me on the floor of my back porch where they get no light, as long as I remember to turn the irrigation off when our rains start, like I forgot to do last year, then they bloom several times at least after I realize what I did they did end up blooming.

Similar Threads

  1. Cycnodes Wine Delight
    By JDT in forum Orchids of Other Genera IN BLOOM
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2019, 11:37 AM
  2. To repot or not to repot this cattleya
    By Mik in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 17th, 2018, 03:48 PM
  3. to repot or not repot this orchid
    By ksb in forum Orchid Ailments / The Compost Pile
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
  4. Cycnodes Question
    By Mark V in forum General Orchid Culture
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 28th, 2006, 09:04 AM
  5. Cycnodes in bloom...yum!
    By Brutal_Dreamer in forum Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, & Intergenerics IN BLOOM
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 30th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OrchidTalk --An Orchid Growers Discussion Forum brought to you by River Valley Orchidworks. A World Community where orchid beginners and experts talk about orchids and share tips on their care, cultivation, and propagation.