Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A nearly three-year journey...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

I'm betting it is the best pineapple you have ever tasted.

Susan

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by orchidlady View Post
    I'm betting it is the best pineapple you have ever tasted.

Susan
    Absolutely!

cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

They can put up more than just one fruit, but the successive fruits tend to be smaller. An old veteran pineapple grower told me that if you want to grow a pineapple plant faster, don't use the top portion of a fruit. Instead, look at the leaves on the side. As your plant gets some size on it, you will see areas where the leaves appear to clump together. If you check those areas from time to time, you will see that the clumps of leaves are actually juvenile plants. I don't know exactly when those can be removed from the main plant. But, my old friend told me that he had done it for quite a while, and that was unquestionably the fastest way to get a fruiting size 'napple, and he had plenty. I just don't have the space for them, or I'd have done it myself by now.
    Also, many of the new varieties have been bred to not have prickly leaves so the pickers don't get stuck as much as before. If you can find some that still have prickly leaves, and if you have the space, they are great to plant just inside your fences / walls for added security, nice appearance, and a tasty reward in time.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yug View Post
    They can put up more than just one fruit, but the successive fruits tend to be smaller. An old veteran pineapple grower told me that if you want to grow a pineapple plant faster, don't use the top portion of a fruit. Instead, look at the leaves on the side. As your plant gets some size on it, you will see areas where the leaves appear to clump together. If you check those areas from time to time, you will see that the clumps of leaves are actually juvenile plants. I don't know exactly when those can be removed from the main plant. But, my old friend told me that he had done it for quite a while, and that was unquestionably the fastest way to get a fruiting size 'napple, and he had plenty. I just don't have the space for them, or I'd have done it myself by now.
    Also, many of the new varieties have been bred to not have prickly leaves so the pickers don't get stuck as much as before. If you can find some that still have prickly leaves, and if you have the space, they are great to plant just inside your fences / walls for added security, nice appearance, and a tasty reward in time.
    Thank you! Because of our location, we have to grow inside a greenhouse during the late fall - early spring, so space is an issue. That said, I grew this one on the floor level of the greenhouse between the benches, so lots of space. I'll look and see if any smaller side plants are down in the pot. I appreciate the information!

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Yug View Post
    Well...They are bromeliads, after all, and bromeliads do "pup", so that makes good sense. (And something I never thought about before!)

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Very interesting! Enjoy it Bruce!

I guess, I need to start making one in my backyard. The pineapply tree fits your background real nice!

This is what luck is. I actually tried growing pineapple and it never worked.