Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epi. ilense

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Wink appreciative

Thanks, my name is kevin and I appreciate the info. I was so scared of the light for the orchids in the beggining but i am finding that I really lucked out with my house. I can put them all over. I have great high medium and low light conditions inside my house.
    I have another question concerning the reverse osmosis filter. How? where? how much? etc. you know the drill. That sounds like a great investment.

Hey kev! glad to see you joined the forum!

sup wogga yeah this is cool thanks. I could not find some of the info about orchids from new guinea. Like info on the spectible and alexandrae, etc. I guess I will have to start new threads

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by etothex
    sup wogga yeah this is cool thanks. I could not find some of the info about orchids from new guinea. Like info on the spectible and alexandrae, etc. I guess I will have to start new threads
    try this link
    http://www.orchidspecies.com/denspectabile.htm

http://www.orchidspecies.com/denalexanderae.htm

Hi Kevin,

You need to send me a private message, so I can send you the specifics of the showerhead. It's forum policy not to discuss businesses or vendors publically. You currently don't have private messaging enabled in your setup.

Julie

PS - the links that Murray provided are to Jay Pfahl's orchid encyclopedia. It's a great source for photos and other information about species orchids, but I don't always agree with the culture information he provides, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd search further for spefic culture details. Start threads in this forum - others here grow those species and can advise you.

Check out my Epi. Nocturnum and Diffusum
    I think my nocturnum has a spike but it has been dormant for a while not sure what to do.
    1 Brothers:
    2 Diffusum spike1:
    3 Maybe nocturnum spike?:

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

the upright growth is the latest growth, yeah? it looks healhy enuff... given, I'm no expert as I don't grow these plants...

btw, welcome to the forum Uncle Kev!

Also known as Seraphyta diffusa, within the Epi subfamily. The flower form is a bit specialized for Epis, hence its own genus.

It has a tiny flower. The nocturnum has a huge flower. Both look very cool! Good luck with them!

Julie

Default Epi. ilense in bloom

I've been slow to get the bloom photographed, because I had the cork bark-mounted plant leaning against a window as the spike set. This meant the spike curved back right at the window.

When I moved the mount to lower light, I had to prop the growth away from the mount so the flower didn't do a face plant into the wall. The joys of mounted plants in the home!

Anyway, the first bud opened fine, but the second was quite truncated and the fimbriated lip was pretty shriveled. This doesn't surprise me, since I really can't provide the humidity this guy wants on a mount. The subsequent flowers always suffer more. The first one looked pretty good, all things considered.

The lower light room doesn't get much A/C in this scorching weather, and the second bloom has browned in today's temps (it's over 90 in there - I'm working on better cooling...) The first bloom is still okay, but the fringed fan has closed inward a bit. Could be a need for moisture. I'm trying to soak her every day, but I think I'll pack a little more moss around the exposed roots.

Julie
    Attached Images Attached Images