Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aerides houlletiana in bark and sphag?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Clara
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Default aerides houlletiana in bark and sphag?

I hope one of you can give me some advice for my new orchid. I ordered a couple (okay, actually 7) orchids from Ecuador to be delivered at a show, which of course was cancelled. They were shipped to me instead. They arrived in pretty battered condition after a long trip. The aerides houlletiana had some long roots all of which were broken in multiple places. I potted it in a clay pot with a mix of sphag and orchiata. Is this a good medium for this orchid? and I'm not sure how to water it. The sphag feels a little moist still from 5 or so days ago. Should i let the moss dry out completely? And Then how much water? Saturate it? Or would it be better in a orchiata mix? I appreciate any feed back. Clara
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Clara congrats for the new stuff since the plant is monopodial type if possible avoid to use sphagnum as a medium they prefer dry at the root levels after watering. Usually the vendor during the delivery always covered with sphagnum to prevent severe dehydration. So the plant already with you remove the spag and use charcoal or bark with the multiple holes over the pot.Watering twice or once a day depending on your climate wet season once or winter better once a week or looks the plant condition. One thing I'm in doubt about the plant above to me it doesnt looks like Aeredis houlletiana because the purplish color doesnt matter I hope he will reward you beautiful flowers later.

Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I'm taking a shot in the dark here but did the shipment come from Ecuador or Florida? I know one of the popular Ecuadorian vendors opened US branch in FL within the past few months. Either way, anytime I get an imported bare root plant either shipped direct or from a show (which was obviously also shipped) the first thing I do when I get them home is just let them soak in water bare root for 48 hours to help them re-hydrate before I pot them.
    Specifically to the Aerides, I've never seen one potted but I guess you could. To Zain's point, mine gets misted for 10 minutes two times a day and it's just hanging bare root so the roots can dry fully in between watering. The roots really need air which is another reason I'd be leery of potting it.

Real Name
    Clara
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Zainal,

Thank you for the cultural advice!. I really don't know why I put it in sphag. I think I looked up how to pot it, and an article said to put it in sphag. It didn't seem right. But I have switched it over to bark and charcoal now. I do hope it is Aerides houllitiana! Its been on my want list for quite a while. But I also got a Rhyn Bangkok Sunset and Rhyn gigantea peach. Maybe I mixed the tags. Time will tell.

and thank you for all the great photos you share of your orchids! I love looking at them. Clara

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Weetamoo View Post
    Hi Zainal,

Thank you for the cultural advice!. I really don't know why I put it in sphag. I think I looked up how to pot it, and an article said to put it in sphag. It didn't seem right. But I have switched it over to bark and charcoal now. I do hope it is Aerides houllitiana! Its been on my want list for quite a while. But I also got a Rhyn Bangkok Sunset and Rhyn gigantea peach. Maybe I mixed the tags. Time will tell.

and thank you for all the great photos you share of your orchids! I love looking at them. Clara
    Hi Clara
    After you told us could be mixed the tags I felt much better now and the above plant actually with the wider leave is Rhynco gigantea and the Aeredis houl basically the leaves is smaller and not so succulent, again choose a bigger pot as the plant after period of time will be very huge and become heavy, I will show you my plant tomorrow evening and than you decide.Thanks for liking my photos.

Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

The houlettiana will also be a much faster grower than either of the Rhyncho's.
    FWIW , my Aerides and Rhyncho's are all growing side by side and I treat them exactly the same.

Real Name
    Clara
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Leigh,
    Yes they were from Ecuador/Florida. I didn't know to soak them for 48 hours. Thanks for the tip. I put it in clay pot because I can't water every day. I do have the others in wooden baskets with lava and orchiata. I waffle back and forth on which will work better for me. I do love the baskets, and I'm planning to make a couple tonight (my husband does all the cutting, I do the drilling and assembly).
    How much light do you give your Rhyncos and Aerides? Cattleya light? Right now I have them shaded with high humidity to encourage root growth.

Zain I will switch the tags. Does this one look more like Aer. houlletiana?Name:  20200512_130304_resized.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  62.3 KB

Real Name
    Leigh
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

That's definitely the houlletiana Clara. Leaves should be less rigid than the Rhyncho's too, correct?
    Yes, cattleya light. Mine are all under 50% shade cloth year round. I'm guessing 2500+FC.
    When I had them in my NH greenhouse they were hanging way up high just under the vanda's. I probably should have had some supplemental lighting too but I didn't and they all are doing way better since I moved my collection to the Keys.
    Aerides is my favorite genera and houlletiana is the best of the best in my book so be nice to that plant. It looks great by the way!
    I got a quinquevulnera from that vendor last year. Great plant!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Clara, how do you make the baskets? That's awesome!

Real Name
    Clara
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

yep the leaves are not as rigid. It's also the only one with one big healthy root. The houlletiana's foliage is beautiful. My next one might be the quinquevulnera if I can find a spot to fit it in. My husband wants the kitchen table back. and then he helps me make boxes..hehe

Sheryl, my husband's hobby is wood working. I buy a white cedar board and he cuts it into strips 1/2 x 3/4 x by whatever size box I want. Then He makes a jig and I drill the holes with a drill press. I could just mark the ends and use a hand drill - there are DIY videos on line. I use 14 gauge wire (from the picture hanger section of the big box hardware) with 2 pliers I bend a little U at the end for the bottom, then thread the wires. Doing the twist at the top is my favorite part. Maybe next time I make one I'll take pictures along the way and post my own little DIY if anyone's interested
    Name:  20200513_075318_resized.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  24.9 KB
    Name:  20200513_075434_resized.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  25.3 KB the jig
    Name:  20200513_080324_resized.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  19.8 KB the bottom