Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Rossioglossum williamsianum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default Rossioglossum williamsianum

Name:  Rossi-williamsianum.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  146.4 KB

Rather difficult to show this off to full advantage . 8 flowers, nicely and evenly distributed around the stem, so that wherever you stand, as you walk round it, there is always one full face, but only ever one.
    A species that has been on my wish list for ever; I have "bought it" half a dozen times in the last as many years - usually it turns out to be R.grande ( same thing, but much larger flowers - these are about 4 inches natural spread - grande is usually over 6 inches, but far fewer ; alternatively what one gets is Rawdon Jester - a primary hybrid made by an old friend of mine ( maybe now a late friend - have not seen him since he sold his nursery - it is now a housing estate called "Orchid Avenue" - building land in our crowded little island is worth a lot more than growing space. Anyhow, the hybrid is grande x williamsianum.

The reason for the scarcity I think is that this is a Mexican species ; no-one from Mexico ever comes to Europe selling orchids. Maybe there are no orchid traders there - sounds unlikely, but maybe it is just that they have a much bigger market on their doorstep - USA.

And of course, Mexican orchids are not too easy , for me anyway . They are used to resting in the summer, and growing in the winter, I think, and our winter, here in UK, is just too dreary and sunless ( but boy, you should see our summers - this one - the sun has shone non-stop for 10 weeks now , I think , and its not even summer yet, just Spring..) And that, for Uk, is out of this world. - Mind you, it is a good thing we had the wettest winters ever recently - but even so, my garden is beginning to flag, and the pots of flowers I have on the patio and in front of the house, need watering daily. Quite a chore.

Back to williamsianum. 8 flowers. Could get up to at least a dozen I think , although IOSPE thinks only up to 8. My expectation is based on the fact that my plant is not very strong yet - 3 leafless back-bulbs, and the leading bulb not as big as I should like. Well, we will s ee, or not....

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the info given Geoff interesting and I noticed the photos above so glaring and I cant enjoyed it , I love so much about this species however cant do much as the environment is not supportive for him to grow here. back to your previous posting below the color is amazing with the black background, by the way congrats.
    https://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchi...ad.php?t=48759

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Beautiful, Geoff! We have had non-stop rain here in Arkansas, USA. I'm ready for some days without rain so the yard and garden can dry up a bit. We have standing water everywhere. I'm sure it is going to be good for us when it finally gets really hot later this summer, but this spring has been the wettest I can remember. (Maybe being home all this time because of the Covid19 has made me hyper aware of it - haha...). Anyway, beautiful blooms. Thank you for sharing them with us.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

Very nice Geoff!

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    Beautiful, Geoff! We have had non-stop rain here in Arkansas, USA.
    cheers,
    BD
    Amazing the difference in our weather. It is now official, the sunniest May ever recorded in Britain, and some weather records go back to the 1600s. 60 hours of sunshine more than we have ever had - extraordinary.
    Fortunately where I live our water supply comes from a large area ( called Salisbury Plain )which acts like a giant sponge, soaks up all that never stopped raining in the winter, and delivers it to my RO machine ( as well as house) in an endless flow.
    Well for your sake, I hope you see the sun soon. And for the sake of my garden, I’d be glad of a downpour or two.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    Amazing the difference in our weather. It is now official, the sunniest May ever recorded in Britain, and some weather records go back to the 1600s. 60 hours of sunshine more than we have ever had - extraordinary.
    Fortunately where I live our water supply comes from a large area ( called Salisbury Plain )which acts like a giant sponge, soaks up all that never stopped raining in the winter, and delivers it to my RO machine ( as well as house) in an endless flow.
    Well for your sake, I hope you see the sun soon. And for the sake of my garden, I’d be glad of a downpour or two.
    The world is truly upside down. haha...

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

Beautiful! I really like the Rossioglossum genus.

Susan