Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Do my orchids receiving enough sunlight?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Do my orchids receiving enough sunlight?

Hi all seniors, hope everyone is doing well.

I would like to ask your opinion and advise on my orchid set up indoor whether they are receiving enough sunlight or do I need to do anything else to make it better? Really hope to hear from all of you. By the way, my window is facing north-west (more towards north) however it did get some sunlight in the evening as in the picture attached. Picture was taken around 4.15pm in the evening here in Malaysia. Thank you very much in advance🙏
    Posted via Mobile Device

Name:  IMG_2954.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  100.6 KB
    Last edited by cherylsoh; July 12th, 2020 at 03:51 AM. Reason: to insert photo

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Vandaceous plants need very bright light. A north-facing window will never do.

Phalaenopsis can probably do quite well there, but need unshielded exposure to the window - no shadows, nor draperies.

Pretty much everything else is in-between, needing more light than I speculate they’d re getting there, but not as much as the vandas. Those on the top shelf will never get enough light.

You’re going to need to supplement that light to varying degrees and group the plants accordingly.

Thanks alot for your advise Raybark, having said that, i am going to do some research on the LED plant lights to supplement them with more light. Can I get those round type of 60/80/100 LED plant light with red/blue light? Any suggestion?

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

It’s a personal choice, of course, but the red/blue (“ blurple”) lights make the plants look alien to me. We grow orchids to appreciate how they and their blossoms look, so using a light that spoils that seems ill-advised to me.

That said, ordinary white “household” LED lights tend to be very strong in the green part of the spectrum - where the human eye is most sensitive - so they look especially bright, it that’s not necessarily great for the plants, so they often have some red LEDs added. However, white LEDs that are “warm white” tend to have more red in the spectrum inherently.

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    It’s a personal choice, of course, but the red/blue (“ blurple”) lights make the plants look alien to me. We grow orchids to appreciate how they and their blossoms look, so using a light that spoils that seems ill-advised to me.

That said, ordinary white “household” LED lights tend to be very strong in the green part of the spectrum - where the human eye is most sensitive - so they look especially bright, it that’s not necessarily great for the plants, so they often have some red LEDs added. However, white LEDs that are “warm white” tend to have more red in the spectrum inherently.
    Thanks Ray for your detailed explanation. Definitely will look into the various LED lights that's available here. Hopefully i can get a suitable ones and grow them well. Thanks again=)

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Correct light level for the plants to grow, which may or may not be how you prefer, them to look can be judged - with experience - by the colour of the leaves, A dark green certainly shows not enough light. Purple ( usually but not invariably especially with phallys) means too much light - the plant is in an autumnal phase, and winter will soon come with loss of those leaves. The right shade of green is often called "apple green" - and if you get to see and maybe eat South African "Granny Smith" that is about right ; but I believe the English Apple Growers Association record 2500 varieties, and certainly they vary from almost yellow right through the range....