Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: My new greenhouse

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default My new greenhouse

Name:  greenhouse.jpg
Views: 3523
Size:  153.8 KBName:  floor.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  132.8 KBName:  roof.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  116.8 KB

I think its quite smart - and since it will be seen by all visitors to the garden and main greenhouse it needs too be ; dark green, powder coated aluminium. Nice details too - the nuts and bolts holding it together are hidden by discreet black plastic caps - etc. It is built on 18 inch square concrete slabs, simply laid on the "gravel" - which in this are where the underlying rock is chalk, consists of flint lumps the size of a walnut or thereabouts - excellent drainage, needful when I am pouring hundreds of gallons of water into the base.
    The frame is bolted to brackets screwed to the slabs , so that storm winds won't be able to move it ; I am only 12 miles from one of our famous weather stations - Needles Battery in the English Channel, where storm force winds of over 100mph are regularly reported in the winter gales - but my garden is very sheltered . I occasionally get pots blown over, but thats all.
    I have finished the main assembly, now putting together the benches - professional quality very thick solid aluminium extrusions. These will be low, because I shall not be lifting pots off and putting them back all the time as I do in the main house - I am using automatic watering with drip lines to each pot, so they will only be taken off for serious maintenance - repotting- maybe staking etc. This will give me great head room, and chances for the flower spikes, some of which are four feet high above the pot, to develop naturally.
    The roof has four large ventilators ; not sure how much I shall use them ! I have bought the makers roller blinds for shading - same applies - but I won't install them until after the benches are finished.
    I am using electric tubular heaters - taken out of my last cymbidium house when I moved here 16 years ago - makes a nice bit of space in my garden shed which has been cluttered up with them for that time . They will be mounted on a wooden frame below the benches, and resting on the floor insulation ( 3 inch thick Celotex or similar - only used under the benches) Stat' controlled. I shall set to a mean 11˚C - which after experiment will probably mean setting to 10, this is a favoured area, for climate. The presence of so many trillion tons of sea-water, still with some warmth from the Gulf Stream, which never gets below say 8˚C in the winter or above say 15˚ C in the summer, only a mile away means that my temperatures are much more even and equable than they are inland ; when there is a heatwave ( more frequently now, with global warming), the market town 7 miles inland from me can be say 33C, and I am 27; and in the winter that town may get down to minus 5 or even 10 and I never see more than minus 2 or 3.
    The drip feed and rain collection tanks will go at the back , north - the pics are taken looking north ( inland). I already have power supplies, from a a time when I had cold frames, with winter frost protection, here.
    I'll add to this, after the next stages - perhaps with real live green plants - wow !

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

Nice setup look forward to when it is done and filled.

Real Name
    Lutz Haunert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Very interesting. Thanks for the detailed description. I'm curious to see how it develops.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

It is really fantastic, Geoff. Thank you for the updates and photos. How exciting! I would love to see photos of all of your growing space structures.

cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Looks awesome!

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Amazing Geoff very neat and spacious what kind of orchids species would you like to put the G.H.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

It is meant for cymbidiums only. And all of my cymbidiums, too. That way, the big house with everything else will be rather less cluttered, for a time. Maybe for all time.
    I have another interest in my life now, to pull me away from the greenhouse - a young lady I took to dinner the other day... who may be as keen on me as I think I am on her. Very early days yet, but I can't be watering orchids and canoodling at one and the same time.. so priorities will come into play.
    BTW the word young is relative of course ; but then , all the women I actually look at, are young to me...I do have enough sense to ignore all the scantily dressed Ukrainian beauties who send me invitations to chat - I can see the invisible speech bubble over their heads reading " I want a British Psasport".

You can insert ha-ha anywhere here if you wish...

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Well you've got quite a bit of excitement going on Geoff! The GH is really nice and it will make a great home for your cymbidiums. All the best with your new lady interest!