Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanda root growth tips fading.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Real Name
    Harry
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Default Vanda root growth tips fading.

New to the forum and new orchid grower. Recieved a vanda in a bag as a gift, and read what I could about the vandacious group. It grew new roots as soon as I soaked it in rainwater thoroughly a few times, and I water it a couple of times daily. It lives outside in central Florida, bare root in a basket, with a couple of hours of early morning sun. Roots look ok, quite green when wet, silvery when dry, but many of them have lost their growth tips. (Not chewed off, just seem to be fading away.) Otherwise the root looks good. Can't seem to find out if this is normal or an indication of a problem. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

The disappearance of the green/yellow/red root growth tips simply means they are not actively growing.That could be a case of the plant “taking a rest”, or it could indicate a minor cultural issue.

Lack of humidity is not likely the problem down there. Do you have any info on your water quality or municipal treatment. Have you been feeding it at all? If so, what formula, how much do you mix per gallon, and how often have you been applying it?

Real Name
    Harry
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Not really sure of water quality, but I mostly use collected rain water. I feed weekly with better gro orchid plus, mixed at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Every 4th week I feed better gro orchid better bloom instead, also mixed at 1 teaspoon per gallon of rain water. Day time temps have been mostly in the mid 90's, mid to high 70's at night. Curious if the shifting sun (moving south) may have shortened the amount of sun it receives and I hadn't noticed as I leave for work before sunrise. Also the plant is under screen in a pool enclosure. It occurs to me that I don't sunburn sitting there, but I will outside of it. My weather station says our daytime humidity is typically mid 60's during the day, mid to high 90's in the morning when I get up. Again I thank you for any information, as I suspect I am in way over my head. Answered many questions you didn't ask, but it occurred to me after my previous post that it really didn't offer that much info.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Harry
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Seems as though amount of light may have been a little low. Started putting it out into sunlight after work for as long as there is any, and now growth tips are reappearing. Probably also underestimated the amount of light my pool enclosure screens cut out. May keep this one alive yet!
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda Sanderiana
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hthood1@gmail.com View Post
    Seems as though amount of light may have been a little low. Started putting it out into sunlight after work for as long as there is any, and now growth tips are reappearing. Probably also underestimated the amount of light my pool enclosure screens cut out. May keep this one alive yet!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm not too far from you (hardiness zone 9a) and my vandas don't do well inside my screened-in patio. So, they're hanging outside on a tree that almost got destroyed by a hurricane a few years ago - the tree is still struggling to grow more branches and leaves even after all these years. The vandas get sunlight all day but dappled by the sparse leaves of the tree.

Around December/January/February I drag them all into my bathtub that has this big giant south-facing window in the humid bathroom.

Excited to see you have a spike! It takes every bit of patience to wait these spikes out to bloom... but then it stays in bloom for a month or more! I haven't seen a vanda yet that is not strikingly gorgeous. I believe they are the best orchids, even better than the magnificent plat-sized cattleyas. But that's just me.

Real Name
    Harry
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

How long from the beginning of a spike to bloom? Seems forever, tho I gather I've been doing lots of things wrong ( moving the plant around, re-orienting it, not keeping conditions very stable. Now living in a cheapo plastic greenhouse in the guest bath. Grow light on a timer and small fan continuously running.. Got cold here at night.) the few buds seem ok, but still..

Name:  rps20201211_084007.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  116.7 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

I'm in the Daytona Beach area and mine do that on and off as well. They'll start growing again. Maybe as Ray states they take a break here and there

Real Name
    Harry
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Noticing a new growth coming up from between the leaves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Harry
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Tried to post an image with my last and failed miserably. Been watching this new growth for a couple of weeks, and it doesn't look in the least like a root. I received this vanda as a 4" bag baby in the beginning of June, and as I understand that it should be 12 to 18 months until it flowers, is it possible this could be a flower spike? It hasn't developed the brown/green look of growing root tips that all other roots on this plant have, just bright green and more rounded. Also, should I suspend fertilization if this is a spike? (I really need to learn to post an image!)
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Use image size app and change the size of your photo to 600x600. Then when you post here click the 3rd icon from the right and you can upload from your device. Hope that helps