Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Starting your own garden difficulties

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Starting your own garden difficulties

Readying yourself in making your own garden and growing your cute buds were never easy.

So how do you deal with the difficulties of starting and growing one? Feel free to share it here.

There's a lot to consider on making your first garden or growing new seeds! The worst challenge was the pests, good thing I've decided to find forums that discuss things about planting and it really helped me a lot getting advice online.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I've grown in several different ways. Currently, I'm getting ready for my vegetable garden. This year instead of breaking out the tiller, I am planting in containers. The hardest part will be mixing the soil and moving around the containers as they are fairly large. The best part will be the fresh tomatoes, peppers, and basil.

cheers,
    BD

I'm in the process of setting myself up as a full-time gardener. I've been working in the car mods industry for years. I have finally decided enough is enough and it's time to pursue my one true passion. Gardening. Best of luck to me. :")

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by magmaraft View Post
    I'm in the process of setting myself up as a full-time gardener. I've been working in the car mods industry for years. I have finally decided enough is enough and it's time to pursue my one true passion. Gardening. Best of luck to me. :")
    Wishing you well! Congratulations!!

Cheers,
    BD

Thanks!

During the spring, the major difficulty is the unwanted plants and weeds. I never found an authentic solution to that. Last month, a friend gifted me a weed killer ---- Vendor information removed - see FAQs on Posting ---- and I am in love with it. It kills them all and stops them from growing again.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

In PA, we tried a bit of gardening, but our soil was shale, so we tried a raised bed. That worked better, but the deer ate whatever we tried to grow.

Here in NC, because we’re on a barrier island, the soil is primarily sand, and having a small lot, we have gone with a couple of raised beds for our tomatoes, parsley and basil. Rosemary is a shrub in the yard, oregano is taking over a flower bed by my deck, but the plant I am proudest of is my heirloom “Dr. Clark” fig.

It was about 18” tall with two 1.5 cm branches when I planted it spring before last. I put some Osmocote with minors in the soil, and watered it in with Kelpak and Quantum-Total plant probiotic. Occasionally, when applying K-Lite fertilizer and those additives to my orchids out of the deck, I’d also apply the to the fig, and stuff in the raised beds. That first summer, it got to about 3’ tall, added several branches, and gave us a handful of fruits. Last summer, the thing took off under that same care, and spread to about 6’ tall by 8’ across, yielding more fruits that we could deal with. (This particular plant has yellow-green fruits when ripe, so the birds don’t know they’re ripe, so leave them alone.)

The guy who gave me the plant wanted to give me another variety, but I don’t have room, so about a week ago, he grafted two others onto this “mother” plant, so I ought to have three varieties on one tree.

As a general comment, I HIGHLY recommend the use of Kelpak (currently sold as KelpMax in the US and Canada) and Quantum-Total on all these plants. They stimulate growth and protect the plants from diseases, and help them produce really tasty fruits. I use them on everything, including flowers and shrubs around the yard.