Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The phrag of my hidden dreams

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Rosalía
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cats, oncidium and slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Smile The phrag of my hidden dreams

Hello, I bought the last weekend my first phrag . This was a dream cherished for a long time, but did not dare to do. I have true horror of killing some plants. Perhaps a psychologist can help me with this. LOL

Anyway since I joined this friendly community I was more courageous and then .... dare.

here is my delicious Phrag. Cardinale (of course I was not going to sail with one species).
    It’s time for paphs and phrags. Lots presented here. All beautifull.

I'm scared to death and waiting for another flower (can you see the little bud?). Do not forsake me ... how can I take good care of him?
    Wish me luck and, if it’s possible, some advices.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    Margarita
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    ALL
    Member's Country Flag

Beautiful!!! Wishing you lots of luck!!! I know she'll love you! Sorry, can't help with any advise because phrags are still on my wishlist but you got a real beauty!

Real Name
    Jake
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Vanda, Phrags
    Member's Country Flag

How beautiful! Reminds me of my State Flower (Minnesota). I want a Phrag, but I read that they are a little fussy. Someday...I'll have one....someday.

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

Keep it sitting in a tray of water, that is how I grow all of my phrags. Moisture will help keep the leaves from fertilizer burn (too much salt). I water with tap water, but they cannot tolerate hard water like phals. Having said that my water is very hard, and i haven't had problems. They also stay relatively pest free and grow roots madly. Great choice for a phrag, this one should be a good grower

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Amazing ! Loads for green luck for your Phrag. I myself have never grown a Phrag, but I have seen some most fabulous pictures of Phrags growing in Semi Hydro. From what i understand they are the group that is most suited to SH.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

It's a beauty for your first... good luck and may it reward you with manymore blooms!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Everyone grows a bit differently I suppose. So here, I keep ours damp all the time, but not with wet 'feet'. Instead of a pure bark mix, I chopped up some sphag ( a small amount) and mixed into the bark and included more coconut husk in the mix than normal for paphs. This helps to maintain a cool, damp mix. I grow many of my moisture loving phrags this way and they all seem to do well. For us this works well and we get multiple blooms. For others, like Fren, having the pot sit in a tray of water does the trick. I think it comes down to what you have it potted in and how much attention you can give to its care and management.

Beautiful blooms!

Cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Do I have to choose?
    Member's Country Flag

I have one of these and I am growing mine in s/h culture. At first when I bought it I had it in a chc mix sitting in a saucer of water and then I was told to give the s/h culture a try with it since the LECA wouldn't break down and rot the roots. It did great with the first potting medium I tried....and after transferring it to the s/h culture I wasn't sure if it was going to make it....but keep in mind I transferred it to s/h culture in November. In January or February of this year it started to show signs of new root growth so I decided to hang tight and ride it out. It now has lovely roots established....now I just need to find the right lighting for it and still be able to provide some humidity (more then my normal 20%) at the same time. Hope my experience might provide you with some help!

Good luck with it...it is a compact grower compared to some in this genus. I too have Cardinale and also, like Becca, grow mine in S/H (semihydroponic) culture. Phrags take fairly bright light

Real Name
    Rosalía
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cats, oncidium and slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Wink

First of all I must say: It's wonderfull, I've got all - my phrag, best wishes and lots of advices.

Margo, thanks. Ever.

Jake, Amey and Tim, i'm happy you enjoy it. Thanks for kind words from you all.

all information and even the debate are pretty usefull for me.

I think after all I read here I may consider to go on s/h. Could be a good alternative ...well, gotta learn more about that.

Once it's my first venture with phrag, why not going on extreme and to try a new method for me! Sprin is coming soon... and summer will be very hot.

It's now potted in a mix - bark, coconut husks, charcoal and fiber fern(I'm not sure about this word "fern" or treefern). I putted it on a tray with stones that keeps humid the air around...no "wet feet". I spray it (a little bit) every day and the leaves and whole plant looks like very healthy till now.

Lighting is a bit more than that i offer to my three paph (i've got them for 3 months, and they are ok)

I ask: if I decide to go on s/h should I have to wait for the finish of blooming? Think so.

BD, your suggestion, again, IS VERY attractive AND FOR SURE it's easier to me!!!Maybe in while i'm learning more, it's the best.

Many thanks to all of you. I'll notice about my progress ( and even my mistakes, much more probably, LOL)