Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: NBS Cattleya trianae in need of repotting

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default NBS Cattleya trianae in need of repotting

My NBS trianae (not ever divided since small seedling stage) is on the verge of outgrowning a 6" round plastic basket, which is covered with roots weaving in and out of the sides and bottom. I expect the next growth to bloom.

(It's growing in my house at a window in dry conditions, supplemental LED lighting)

I had thought of the possibility of painstakingly cutting away the plastic basket, dividing the plant before putting it in a teak basket. Disturbing the plant this much when I need the next growth to be full-force seems ill-advised though.

The only other choice for repotting seems to be plopping the whole thing in a larger teak basket for now. The concern would be the bark breaking down that it's in, but with the quick wet-dry of bark in baskets, this doesn't seem to be happening. It's been in its plastic basket for a couple of years.

Or, I could just leave it where it is, and let the new growth be out in space. I don't like that idea because it would be a serious challenge to keep the new growth and roots hydrated. (I will say, though, that this plant has shown remarkable tolerance for dry conditions. I saturate it every other day (often missing a day) and it seems perfectly happy.)

Anyway, is the potting-on idea the best way to go, given the circumstances?

Thanks so much!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Masaccio View Post
    My NBS trianae (not ever divided since small seedling stage) is on the verge of outgrowning a 6" round plastic basket, which is covered with roots weaving in and out of the sides and bottom. I expect the next growth to bloom.

(It's growing in my house at a window in dry conditions, supplemental LED lighting)

I had thought of the possibility of painstakingly cutting away the plastic basket, dividing the plant before putting it in a teak basket. Disturbing the plant this much when I need the next growth to be full-force seems ill-advised though.

The only other choice for repotting seems to be plopping the whole thing in a larger teak basket for now. The concern would be the bark breaking down that it's in, but with the quick wet-dry of bark in baskets, this doesn't seem to be happening. It's been in its plastic basket for a couple of years.

Or, I could just leave it where it is, and let the new growth be out in space. I don't like that idea because it would be a serious challenge to keep the new growth and roots hydrated. (I will say, though, that this plant has shown remarkable tolerance for dry conditions. I saturate it every other day (often missing a day) and it seems perfectly happy.)

Anyway, is the potting-on idea the best way to go, given the circumstances?

Thanks so much!
    Would love a photo to see what you describe. Orchids are fairly resilient, so unless in bud, I bet you could do a repot with too much worry.

cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Yeah, a photo would be a big help, but based only upon your description, I’d follow your second option and just plop it into a bigger basket, surrounding the current one and roots with more bark.

Thanks for the responses. Here is a photo of the Trianae. Surprised to see that the current growth is sending up a little bud.
    Name:  Trianae in Basket2.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  50.9 KB

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

If you can extract the pot without doing undue damage to the roots, that would be a better way to deal with it, but as it'll be in a basket, it'll dry out periodically, so concern over the decomposition of the old bark is less of an issue.

Thanks. I thought I'd just devote a morning to gradually cutting away the basket (keeping the roots soaked and soft). However, the real problem is that watering it is a pain. Since it's inside the house, I've been holding it over the tub and using a hand-sprayer every other day to soak the roots, and then watering the pot. Had a (minor) brain-storm this morning. I can get one of those sticky hooks and mount it on the ceiling of the shower, hang the plant at the appropriate level with a handly length of chain, and use one of those large garden pump sprayers on it (of which I have several). That will be easy enough to do every day. The roots don't seem to mind being dry for a couple of days, so this kind of drench every day should be magic, and comparatively easy. When it's really outgrown the space, the pseudobulbs I want to keep might be mostly outside the pot anyway. Here's a pic of the little bud. It was a shocker. I hope it develops!
    Name:  First Trianae bud2.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  29.0 KB

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

The bud looks great. I bet it will keep growing!!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Arne Schon
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassavola, Broughtonia
    Member's Country Flag

I would put the whole plant (without removing the old basket) in another pot or basket and then fill the spaces with bark-perlite mix. I would go for perlite #4 and medium or large bark.
    Posted via Mobile Device