Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Just out of curiousity, how many of you are s/h'ing?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

I find myself letting each plant telling me what they want. Tried with 3 phals and almost lost them all so I switched the worst back to bark after sphag and bag, one seems to be slowly adjusting and the last is aboout to go back to bark. I have a milt (not sure if its miltonpsis or miltonia) that didn't like s/h so back to bark. I'm trying one of my oncidiums, see how that works out. At this point I'm not really sure that I like the s/h method, but that's my own experience.

Real Name
    John Benish
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals and Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I have about 150 plants, and all are in SH except plants that I have just recieved. After they flower, they also will be switched. (Phals, Catts, and Vandas) The vandas are in wooden baskets,with clay pellets as medium. I use a plastic netting,(from the grocery store), to keep the pellets from falling out.

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I use S/H to rejuvinate plants that have lost their roots. I also have four seedling catts, same compot. I have 3 in S/H and one in bark - too soon to tell but the new roots on tht 3 S/H are huge.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Pleurothallids.
    Member's Country Flag

Cool

Since my last post, i have successfully switched 10 orchids to full S/H and 1 not so successful lol. Of all the ones i have switched, 5 are in bloom right now, and three others are in bud. In the first month, i had amazingly rapid root development. They seem to have settled and are seeming to be quite happy right now. I will get some pics up when i have a sec.

Real Name
    Dr Denis Wang
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Beallara Ruth Carpenter
    Member's Country Flag

I'm a newbie orchid guy (I grow mostly epiphytic Tillies, Neo-broms, and ferns) and have orchids in both traditional and SH. So far my SH's (mini-phals, reed-stem epis) are doing very well (in orchidaria with both fluorescent lights and natural). I just started a Dendrobium lineale in SH (mentioned in another thread) as from culture literature it seems to want moisture and heavy feeding. I also have a Neostylis and Onci "Issaku Nagata" growing in LECA (hanging basket and shallow bonsai pot) doing well. I'm trying to adapt the LECA to natural habitat conditions of the species.

Real Name
    Ali
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    the weird ones
    Member's Country Flag

I've moved a couple of my Phals, my Den, and Enc to s/h and they seem to be doing quite well. It's only been a month or two so I can't say for sure but they seem pretty happy

Real Name
    Don Keim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I dabble with it a little. Currently have 5 siblings from a community pot and some are in S/H and some are in bark. Growing side by side, waiting to see how they react.
    I know there are quite a few people out there using it regularly and having great luck. I have also found it good for rebuilding roots on plants that have lost all or most of their roots. In that case I use shale instead of clay. It works great and a plant with absolutely no roots can be kept alive long enough for new roots to form.