Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Causing more problems

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Question Causing more problems

I have an Iwan. Apple Blossom 'Golden Elf' that I've been treating for scale with a mix of cooking oil/soap/water. There are two new growths on the plant. They didn't seem to have damage from the scale, but I sprayed them anyway since the rest of the plant was infected. Anyway, some of the mixture seems to have lodged inside one of the new growths because now where the new leaf is emerging, it is black and papery thin. So my questions are:
    1) How do I treat that area? Peroxide? Cinnamon? Cut it?

2) I'm supposed to spray the plant twice more for scale, but I'm guessing I should NOT spray that new growth?

Aargh. Right now I feel like my orchids would be happier without me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Default Searching for answers

I've been searching through older threads and finally figured out that my first question should have been, 'how do I know if the problem is bacterial or fungal'? But then I found an answer to that to, where it was reccommended to see if peroxide makes it fizz, so I'm off to try that.

The upside to all this is that by accident I came across a picture that looks very much like a NOID orchid I have. It was a Blc. Hwa Yuan Beauty. This was the first time I'd seen anything that looked even close to this NOID I have.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ang709
    I've been searching through older threads and finally figured out that my first question should have been, 'how do I know if the problem is bacterial or fungal'? But then I found an answer to that to, where it was reccommended to see if peroxide makes it fizz, so I'm off to try that.

The upside to all this is that by accident I came across a picture that looks very much like a NOID orchid I have. It was a Blc. Hwa Yuan Beauty. This was the first time I'd seen anything that looked even close to this NOID I have.

That is great! I hope you get your answers soon! Here is what I think:

1) How do I treat that area? Peroxide? Cinnamon? Cut it?
    1. Post a photo and let us see it so we can more accuratly help you decide what to do.

2) I'm supposed to spray the plant twice more for scale, but I'm guessing I should NOT spray that new growth?
    2. I would spray the entire plant again. Just make sure to put a fan on it so that it will dry off before it gets dark outside. Best time to spray is in the early morning so the plant has all day to dry out.
    Aargh. Right now I feel like my orchids would be happier without me.
    3. Your orchids need you. We all have ups and downs with our plants. It is part of the learning process.
    Cheers!
    BD

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Peroxcide works well .
    Sounds like rot to be safe I would remove what you can, use the peroxcide , and use cinnamon , don't want it to get into the P bulb . Be sure to get under the rhizome with the spray .
    I had some on a plant a couple of years ago that kept comming back I unpotted the plant that is where they were hiding . Gin

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

BD-Thanks for the encouragement, and I will have a fan ready next time I spray.

Gin-Thank you for the tip about the rhizomes. I haven't been focusing on that area too much so far but definately will next time. I don't want these critters coming back.

I applied peroxide last night--no fizzing. Today I managed to get some photos where the black doesn't look like it's just a shadow.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Hi , If the damage is dry I would leave it , if not cut it out cutting into good tissue then coating the cuts , the one I would be concerned with is in the pict. showing multiple growths it is in the back . Has it spread ? Gin

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Question A virus?

Yes, the damage is dry. No, it has not spread. However, I noticed something today on one of the mature leaves on an older growth that has me worried. I know viruses are more likely to strike when a plant is already weak, and I've read that they can appear as black pitted areas. Does this look like a virus? I hope not--I love the bloom on this plant and would hate to toss it, but of course if it's necessary... At least I already had this plant under quarantine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I don't think it is virus , looks more like spray damage if any sun got to the leaf after spraying . or it is probably bug damage . I sprayed my daughters plants for scale with Safers with oil added leaves on one of hers looked just like that . The new growth is fine . I cut off the pitted growth when it had enough new . Gin

If you suspect a virus, examine new growth. If it's free from the spotting then you most likely don't have a virus.

A viral infection is systemic and new growth will show it immediately. Cultural problems (fungus, sun, bugs, etc.) will take time to attack new growth.

Julie

Real Name
    Angie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

Thanks Gin & Julie for putting my mind at ease. The new growth does not have any of those pits, and I did indeed spray the plant yesterday morning, so it sounds like you guys are right on. Thank you again!