Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One of our Paphs. gets awarded!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

OMG you are cracking me up! A James bond , orchid growing comedian!

This is our Paph. that got the HCC/AOS in the Springfield MO orchid show.
    Props! Pardon the unsolicited advice, but I think a photo of that orchid, along with a caption about the award, would look great on your home page.

Oh yes, I agree with PA, lja you should post that pic on your website! That is very impressive!

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Pete!

PAGrower, that's a really good suggestion. I should have thought of that myself earlier. The pic with caption is going up on the homepage this afternoon.

(Brutal, who's a Professor of Theatre at the University out here, gave me a demo of the "Props!" reference by hip-sitting, flinging an arm out, snapping, and yelling it, and I just about died. That's when I got the point...)

The photo of the greenhouse is really effective, I think. I've seen nurseries that do promotion with shots of bench after bench of the same cultivar in the same stage of growth, and it just screams "factory" to me.

[Off topic]Ask Bruce to demonstrate "talk to the hand" for you. That'll really have you rolling. [/OT]

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Oh, well, he's been demonstrating *that* to me for years.

*weekly*

As long as we are discussing the site, I really like these two photos:
    http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/xcart4...php?imageid=22

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/xcart4...php?imageid=23

Most of the other internet vendors are using just the close-up photos, or the close-up along with something like this:

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/xcart4...php?imageid=59
    Don't get me wrong...that's a nice photo and a perfectly legitimate way to advertise the product, but I prefer the more "atmospheric" shots because they are more visually interesting (IMHO, of course) and they represent a different way of doing things, which sets RVO apart from the rest of the pack.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Wow--do you seriously like those two? I thought the backgrounds made them too distracting. Maybe if we can take some more pics like that and get the depth of field corrected so that the background is a little blurred, I'll be happier with the effect. Because I honestly just left those in to give people some idea of what the plants looked like; the spikes and flowers didn't work for me very well at all.

But I very much understand what you're saying: putting the plants in a setting that gives them a sense of place and conveys an atmosphere heightens their appeal. I think you're right. And if we did that, we also wouldn't look like just another "me too" orchid grower.

Thank you for that....

Don't get me wrong because I love seeing what the whole plant looks like... but those 2 shots are wayyyyy distracting. To me anyway. Maybe I have an attention deficiency thing going...? lol But when people are buying they're trying to visualize the plant in their own environment. Keep it simple.

The first shot I'll think 'Hmmm... big yellow Oncidium'. Then I'm drawn to the backround and begin wondering where the shot was taken. I'll see the stones and start thinking about my own backyard projects or I'm drifting off dreaming about stone walls in Ireland....

Second shot I'll first admire the size and health of the SB. Then I'm pulled to the painting... Ballerina...? Degas...?

Either way my mind is pulled from buying plants...

Of course the same thing happens even with Peter's pics... lol. I'll admire the bloom and the plant of course and then my mind starts analyzing how he set up the shot. What lighting he used. Backdrops... The angle of the light, etc...

Gotta keep it simple! Just my opinion...

Máire

Wow--do you seriously like those two?
    Very much. As you point out, they may be less than flawless from a technical standpoint, but they stood out and caught my interest. I didn't care that they weren't crystal clear, because I was able to see the bloom in detail in the close up. The written description told me how large the plant was and the number of growths.

The standard, dramatically-lit shot of the entire orchid against a black background is lovely. prem and Pete in particular do work that is stunning. However, when I am shopping for orchids and every single photo is "staged" the same way, my eyes start to glaze over. That hasn't ever stopped me from buying, mind you, but I do think that I would be far more likely to buy the same orchid at the same price if it was photographed, say, on the counter of a beautiful kitchen with light streaming through the window, as opposed to against the ubiquitous black background. And I certainly wasn't suggesting that you guys change anything, just commending you on what I considered to be a show of creativity.