Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: non-sterile technique

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Sarah
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Default non-sterile technique

Does anyone here have experience in non-sterile culture of orchid seeds on moss?I am going to attempt flasking phal seeds. I'll probably use a media from the box kind. I have been looking at different websites and gathering info. One question that I have is: At what pH should phal seeds be grown? Or are all orchid seeds grown at roughly the same pH of 5.6 or so? Are there any techniques mycorrhizal fungus in a symbiotic approach? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

that type of seed sowing is so seldom done these days as its not reliable,hence the seed is sown under sterile conditions onto agar agar with added nutrients and then placed in a growing room to germinate under controled temperature.

If you go here you will find alot on flasking
    http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sp...hids/breeding/

Default Non sterile culture

there are a few species which actually do just fine in non-sterile culture, most of them are the temperate climate species (I have heard that Goodyera is one of them, I am currently conducting an experiment with those...I'll give more details in a second). You just simply spread the seed in a pot with some already existing mature plants. I have also heard of spontaneous growth on moist slabs of tree fern, though I know alot of growers are shying away from using tree fern since it is expensive, non renewable and has a history of being non agreeable with certain plants. Pleurothallids are notorious for spontaneous germination on tree fern.

Ok, so for the experiment:

My control group is sowing on leaf litter from a nearby colony (but not in too close of a poximity as their tubers are close to the surface and the seed is not collected from that group but rather from a venerable house of orchid seed storage). The existence of the right fungi should be existing in the leaf litter. Group A will be sown on "sterile" (more correctly put...pasturized) chopped sphag. There are the two non sterile groups. Then, the other two will be sown in sterile agar based mediums for terrestrials.

I have a book that list two known non-sterile propogation species, I'll list them tomorrow.

Real Name
    Michael
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Member's Country Flag

Was wondering how successful this practice is with reg types like paphs and phals?

What kinds of bark are you using for this? or is moss the best base to see onto?

Michael