Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Opinions Please

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Opinions Please

So, my baby roth had a problem w/ one of its leaves on Sunday night. I snipped off the worst part which had turned brown and greasy looking/feeling very quickly. Treated cut w/ cinnamon. It also smelled slightly medicinal (pre-cinnamon anyway.) The rest of the leaf has continued to yellow, and is now browning as well. Here are a couple pics, they are more yellow in the photos taken last night. Browning has continued some today. Nothing is wet or gooey, just the greasyness. Started at leaf tip and on the top side. The rest of the plant appears fine. I'm wondering if I should leave the leaf to die a natural death or get it out of there. BTW, the plant was in full sun, I think maybe too quickly since getting it and the stress of potting and sun and lack of air flow caused the problem. I have put in a second larger fan and all the other plants seem fine.
    Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the oldest leaf and dying naturally and from stress/sunburn/lack of air movement.

Okay, changing this around...there they are!
    Gosh darnit! That didn't work. Well you'll just have to click the link, sorry!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Like mentioned above, I don't think it's much of a problem. It's only a lower leaf and would be shed soon. Just be sure that the rest of the plant is healthy with no more yellowing/blackening (as it looks right now, other than the leaf, it looks perfectly happy). Though I am no orchid expert , this is my best judgement. Good luck with it and keep us updated! Post a picture of its blooms (when it does)...wonder how their flowers look like ?

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Nah... Heather, the plant's fine-looking. Many times after repotting a plant will shed lower leaves in response to prepare for a new growth spurt. Nothing to be concerned about. The rest of the plant looks very happy.

oh great! thanks a lot Louis and Lilly! Not that I don't trust Peter's opinion alone but the more the merrier!!

Default Louis Saves the Day!!

YAY! Thanks again Louis! Pics look great!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

A lower leaf that turns a real nasty shade of brown can either be a natural thing or an infection. Rots tend to be uneven-colored, often with watery translucent patches, and they have a distinctive smell. Just whiff long-petalled phrag species and eventually you'll smell it.

But I have paphs, often multiflorals, that will have an entire leaf turn brown. As long as it's a lower leaf, an even shade of brown, it's nothing to worry about. Normal senescence seems to happen from the leaf tip towards the plant. Rots can start anywhere on the leaf, but the dreaded basal rot starts at the base (dah). I am compulsive about pulling the leaves off. Just be careful about it--grab the base to make sure it doesn't move too much, grab the leaf at the base, and pull down & out to get the proper angle. Be especially careful with the brachys when you pull off leaves.

Thanks Jason, it is pretty evenly brown by this point so I am thinking it is just a slow natural stress related leaf death.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    Thanks Jason, it is pretty evenly brown by this point so I am thinking it is just a slow natural stress related leaf death.
    I have a Lady Isabel that drops *all* of its leaves in this manner. Normal paphs tend to yellow and then brown. But on this plant, every leaf that it drops turns rapidly into this unsightly dark brown color. It looks like rot every time.