Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Vanda question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Default Vanda question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my vandas (Mokara Chark Kuan Orange) arrived a month ago with only two large roots, both of which were pinched or creased about six inches from the stem. She lost four or five bottom leaves right off the bat and several of the lower leaves look dehydrated. I've finally gotten her stabilized by soaking daily and flushing or misting a couple of times a day. She does have new leaf growth but no new roots, and that is what concerns me. The part obove the root crease is green, everything below it stays brown, even after soaking. I use superthrive in her bath every couple of days or so. Should I trim the brown dried roots or leave them? Should I add bark or moss to the basket to help retain moisture? She gets 2-3 hours direct morning sun hanging at the edge of the porch eve, where she gets rainwater also. Where will the new root growth occur? Off the existing roots or from the stem? Thanks for your help!

Tmai
    Last edited by Tmai; August 14th, 2006 at 08:12 AM.

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

by all means cut the brown roots off and some moss just drapped over the remaining roots will definately help the plant and encorage new root growth.

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks, Murray. I looked very closely this morning and noticed a green 'knob' growing from the stem through the base of the bottom leaf. New root, I think!

I have a Vanda that had some winter damage...didnt bring it in soon enough.It had brown roots that I left on. and some leaf damage..this plant now has six babies and new green root growth from the old roots..I spritzed occasionally with roottone...anyone heard of using this...I just mix some in a spray bottle

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tmai View Post
    Thanks, Murray. I looked very closely this morning and noticed a green 'knob' growing from the stem through the base of the bottom leaf. New root, I think!
    Time will tell,It might also be a new keiki,not common,but very apprechiated when it happens.

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by orchid-man View Post
    Time will tell,It might also be a new keiki,not common,but very apprechiated when it happens.
    Time DID tell. She now has two more very nice healthy roots and several new leaves. Still waiting for the blooms, though! The old broken roots shriveled completely all the way to the stem. After I was sure, I topped her below the new roots and secured her back in the basket. She is doing great and looks happy.
    Horse, I see you live in north FL too. How do you winter your vanda? This will be my first winter with orchids.

Thanks,
    Tami

Hi I have a small greenhouse that I use in the winter..12x20...just put a small space heater for when the weather dips below 50... I have a bigger problem keeping it cool during the day when temps reach 90s...I have built two evaporation coolers that have helped alot..I have them hanging over two small pools that I built with concrte blocks as the frame then lined with plastic to hold the water...the water from the cooler circulates the pools..and adds humidity. Thanks for asking...