Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: paphs in s/h

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default paphs in s/h

Has anyone repotted a paph into s/h? I have heard mixed results about paphs liking it as a medium and I wondered what results you have all had.

Thanks!

Too afraid myself! Just getting the hang of the bark thing! lol. Jason does though I think? Jason? Jason???

(lol, I'm in a mood, sorry!)

oh, did you see the s/h repotting faq here? It's pretty cool!

I'm trying to get up the nerve to try s/h, too. I just don't know enough about it, I guess.

Lisa

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I moved to s/h solely for convenience--I no longer had the time to deal with different size pots drying out at different times. Now, in s/h, everything gets watered once a week or so, whenever I have a day off.

A year ago I started out with Geolite, which is the very round and very floatant stuff similar to Hydroton. It was ok, but the plants didn't seem to anchor very well. 2 months ago I moved them into PrimeAgra (actually 80% PA and 20% charcoal). I put the charcoal in because it is inert and because I think paphs like it. Prime-Agra wicks a lot better and actually stays in the pot when you water.

Now, regarding the paphs. The vast majority with good roots to begin with did fine in s/h. There is some adjustment period, but after that the plant should start to send out new root tips. I have heard reports that s/h is fine for reviving plants not doing well. That may be the case in a greenhouse, but on the windowsill, s/h appears to be the kiss of death for any plant without a good root system. The lower humidity tends to dry out the top inch or two of the media, with disastrous results.

I have not had much success with brachypetalums in s/h. I only had a couple healthy ones, and they hated s/h. That may be more due to the colder winter temps than the s/h itself, since the water reservoir in the s/h system tends to cool down the roots.

With the exception of the long-petalled phrag species, all my phrags went wild in s/h. Roots everywhere. Even phrag besseae loved it, which I suppose isn't surprising since s/h tends to cool down the roots--something that species loves. The long-petalled species don't hate s/h; they just don't go as wild as the other phrags.

If you're interested in s/h, I think now is a good time to try it out. The warmer temps might help the plants adjust.

huh. thanks for your response. I am currently trying to rehab a Phal in s/h and I will let you know how it goes. It has very limited roots so this should be a good test. As for the Paph, I am not sure about the root system so I may try it or not, depending on what I find. How big are your charcol pellets, or are they pellets? Can you buy those at Big Box stores?

It makes sense that your Phrags love it. Maybe I will finally try a Phrag. But aren't they really picky about water? I still use tap. What about others with Phrags, do you use RO water?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I use coarse horticultural charcoal (#2 seems to ring a bell). It is about the same size as the s/h pellets. It is totally optional, and I have no proof that it is beneficial in any way. But I like them.

Phrag. besseae appreciates good quality water, but I have never used RO. I am fortunate to have NYC water, which is supposed to be of low-salt content, but I had previously used NJ water without issues. Phrag hybrids are not nearly as sensititive to water as besseae. I think the sensitivity that you hear about is more due to the lack of adequate water than the salt content itself--most phrag hybrids require a ton of water. The plant may be moist, but if it's not enough water for that plant, it acts as if it were dry--the salt content, even if it is not high, may still burn roots. Keep the plant well-watered, and there won't be any issues, unless you have water drawn from a well or some other high-salt content water. You see this phenomenon also with brachypetalums and their famous salt sensitivity. I have heard from good growers that this sensitivity to salts is overcome by an adequate water supply.

Repotted my Paph Chamberlainianum into s/h last weekend(was in fine bark mix) , results surprised me.The next day the leaves where far more erect & the spike is more upright.
    Might try putting myself into s/h

Can't speak for paphs, but did put two phrags in s/h about a month and a half ago, and so far they're doing fine. Getting new roots, etc. It's hard to imagine why a phrag wouldn't take to it, unless as someone noted the top part of the medium tends to dry out (though I tend to water mine every day or so, to keep it fresh, at least for the phrags.)

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

The long-petalled phrag species don't seem to take *that* well to it, which isn't to say they don't take, but more that they don't go wild like the hybrids. All my phrag besseae hybrids and my long-petalled *hybrids* go nuts in it, rooting everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney
    The long-petalled phrag species don't seem to take *that* well to it, which isn't to say they don't take, but more that they don't go wild like the hybrids. All my phrag besseae hybrids and my long-petalled *hybrids* go nuts in it, rooting everywhere.
    Unlike most Phrag species, all the long petalled Phrag species prefer to be on the dryer side. Keeping the long petalled Phrag species constantly wet will result in root rot and even attract all kinds of diseases.